Moving a hive as fast as possible

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

priono

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,

I ran into troubles with my neighbours. I need to move one hive approx 30-40meters with a 90degrees turn.

What would you recommend? How fare can i move daily or weekly and would you recommend to do it on a flight day or on a less busy day?

I do not have a location 3miles away where i could move it temporarily.

Thanks very much

If you really have to move it fast and cannot move it away, then wait until evening until all the fliers are in. Move it. Then cover the entrance REALLY thickly with long grass/ shrubby material. Put enough on so the bees have to work hard to get out. They should then realise something isn't quite the same and reorientate to your new site.
Cazza

If you were going the cold turkey route, as well as the shrubbery I'd add the suggestions to keep them shut in for at least 24 hours (better 48) before uncorking them (just don't cook them!) Ideal for when you have a bad spell of weather forecast! And if you can leave a box (nuc?) on the old site, it'll help you gather up the awkward squad who are stuck in their ways.

To move in steps, I'd suggest that you first rotate the hive until it is facing away from the necessary direction of travel (30° + a move of a foot or two each day). Then the hive can be moved backwards six feet (2m) or so, every decent flying day. It helps if the hive is 'obvious' -- you could move it slightly further across an open space. Standing out from the background is important. Move it less if there are bushes, sheds, etc that would interfere with the bees hive-recognition.
Putting the hive on a trolley makes the moving easier!

Moving it well away (3 miles, 5 miles, 20 miles ...) for a couple of months would be the quickest way of curtailing any nuisance.
But it should be possible to erect 2m high (or even higher) fences or netted trellis round your hive, so that the bees have to go up, before they go across, thus preventing problems with the beeline.
But moving the hive 40 metres isn't going to change much if your neighbour has something that the bees fancy, whether its a fuchsia bush, or a hot tub ...
Maybe your association could help you find a (temporary) out-apiary?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back