Module 3

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i did module 6 as well...might be sitting it again in march though,

Time will tell! :ohthedrama:

At least I can look forward to an Xmas visit to NZ, where my daughter is bee keeping commercially. I've got a day working with her booked in, so that will be my bee fix until the spring.

I'm a bit worried about her last Skype comment "your not still wearing gloves, are you? Dad?". Ouch, that might hurt a bit!

I thought the questions were Ok for MODULE 3. Was rushed on last question too.

What struck me again was that you have to have really good exam technique and be a fast writer to do really well. I think it would be great if we could find a way of testing people where being good at exams was unnecessary. I don't think multiple choice, or lots of one word answers will do though because it would be hard to test complex concepts.

What to do in the Spring then?

I thought the questions were Ok for MODULE 3. Was rushed on last question too.

What struck me again was that you have to have really good exam technique and be a fast writer to do really well. I think it would be great if we could find a way of testing people where being good at exams was unnecessary. I don't think multiple choice, or lots of one word answers will do though because it would be hard to test complex concepts.

What to do in the Spring then?

agree, it tests technique more than good beekeeping but then all exams have been criticised because of that and there are alternative routes to get accreditation in beekeeping

i do it to stretch my ageing mind, i prefer to forget an answer rather than my name

i felt sorry for the person sitting next to me with english as a second language, talking after he knew good beekeeping but had taken module 1 four times ,just could not put it on paper...two or three lines of writng per page while i was getting cramp from writing

who is the better beekeeper ,well it may be him not me

When are bees at their lowest ebb? Would it be just after the November exams when everyone's answers seemed better than yours!

I think 1.5 hours is too short for these exams given the size of the syllabus. 2 hours would give the examiners a better chance to assess our knowledge. It would also mean we would not make silly mistakes because of time pressure.

Upon reflection this morning, I may have completely misread one of the questions and answered a different one. Probably re-take in March.

Hand writing....

I think it's a generational thing, but I've not done much handwriting since I left Uni in the 1980's...

Found it almost impossible to hold the pen after an hour and even I had trouble reading my writing! Funny enough, most of those around me later said they had the same problem, with people in their 40's and 50's in a similar position to me and the older generation having problems with arthritis!

Wish there was a way of doing exams online or via a keyboard!

I think it's a generational thing, but I've not done much handwriting since I left Uni in the 1980's...

Found it almost impossible to hold the pen after an hour and even I had trouble reading my writing! Funny enough, most of those around me later said they had the same problem, with people in their 40's and 50's in a similar position to me and the older generation having problems with arthritis!

Wish there was a way of doing exams online or via a keyboard!

quite right....60+ here currently sitting with a pack of cold pees on my shoulder blades because they ache so much after three hours of frantic writing for modules 3 & 6

last time i took a three hours exams was 1970

Last edited:
For those taking module 3 yesterday...

From my colleague James Donaldson at Fleet BKA - Looks like we missed a trick - look carefully at the posters on the wall (you may need to zoom in)....

View attachment 7531

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

Posters perhaps naughty, but they have their backs to them. What is seriously impressive is that Fleet BKA managed to field so many candidates.

There were three of us from Fleet, this is the rest of Hampshire BKA...

Agreed though on test numbers, even if from 2 bka's. When I did mod 1 there was 2 of us! Expect next time could be similar, maybe 3. No chance of posters either, was in assoc editors house, nothing like that lying around.

BTW, well done all for surviving, especially those that did 2. I struggled with one, writing that is:.)

There were three of us from Fleet, this is the rest of Hampshire BKA...

Was this picture taken at the Hants Convention? If not, I think there were also people taking the modules there.

Was this picture taken at the Hants Convention? If not, I think there were also people taking the modules there.

Yes, thats us taking our module exams at the Hampshire BKA Convention and the items on the back wall are a joke....

First bash at Mod 6 in March...once I've rejigged and delivered half of the six week Novice/Basic winter course, handed in four essay and bits of coursework, knocked together 15 supers, 7 broods, and a shed-load of frames, and done the paperwork towards the first bash at Gen Hus. And got through winter. And the season of stress. And four immediate family birthdays. And....arrgghh.

Susbees - would be interested in any assistance with GH. I want to give that a bash too but I freeze when interrogated.

I've no idea how I did on Module 6. There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what the foraging behaviour question in section C actually asked. If I answered the question they think they were asking, I reckon I passed. If other people I've talked to since did then I failed it.

I've put it off long enough, Module 2 is on the cards for Spring and General Husbandry later on assuming I've got enough hives that I reckon are strong enough after the weather induced shambles of this year.

Latest posts

Back