Mistakes

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Todays mistake - nice black mated queen, I’d have no patience so placed her into a roller cage to see how they would react. Seemed to be feeding her (sometimes you see what you hope to see). Went to move her into a roller loaded with fondant and dropped her into the hive. The bees balled her straight away, by the time I got her front legs were off. Learning here for me so thought I’d share.

Todays mistake - nice black mated queen, I’d have no patience so placed her into a roller cage to see how they would react. Seemed to be feeding her (sometimes you see what you hope to see). Went to move her into a roller loaded with fondant and dropped her into the hive. The bees balled her straight away, by the time I got her front legs were off. Learning here for me so thought I’d share.
A purchased queen? How long had the colony been queenless?

You can introduce a laying queen like that, immediately on dispatching the old queen. Though I’ve never had the courage to do that.

Reactions: Kaz
I'll share my similar total failure story too..... some weeks ago one of my queens was in the process of being superseded (she'd been a bit dodgy for some time). This was the second time supersedure seemed to be started, but the first time they ripped down the queen cell. I checked all the frames & only found one queen cell which I removed for use elsewhere. The next day I dispatched the incumbent queen & introduced my own home reared mated queen in a cage. All looked great, so I removed the tab and left them too it. 24 hours later, she'd been released & I couldn't resist a quick look for her.....how hard can it be to spot a marked queen. Couldn't find her from a quick look & closed it back up. The next day I decided to have a good look. No sign of my marked queen but I did find another young looking queen! It seems I'd missed a queen cell & the colony must have been running with 2 queens when I squished the old queen.

Frankly, gutted.

But I know I'll be a lot more careful next time.

Latest posts

Back