mint, mint or mint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you do this for sage and thyme and what do you put in the jam jar with the water and do you use rooting powder ? sorry for so many questions but have a plan next year to grow as many flowering herbs as possible

Mint will root easily, with no help.

I've read that if you can add a piece of willow stem to water it releases hormones (?) that encourage cuttings to root.

I buy cheap (reduced) herb plants from the supermarket, give them a few days on the windowsill and then put them in the garden. They usually take off quite quickly. Works with sage, thyme etc, as well as rosemary, but less well with oregano and coriander.

If you grow enough to sell, you could make a mint...
:biggrinjester:

pm me your address,I'll post some roots to you, it's the mint they use for colmans sauce ;)

Yes, it seems that willow wands having been in water make a good rooting liquid that helps quite a lot of other plants root.

I have a couple of small willow plants that I need to prune while the weather remains dry. I can put a bunch into a jar and leave to soak for a week and then bottle some of the liquid for you.

@Pete, It's been a long time since we had a cuppa in the SavaCentre don't you think?
Fancy a chinwag in a couple of weeks time?

The weather looks to be dry for a few days, I'll prune the willow tomorrow.

I also have red and blackcurrants that I haven't pruned yet. Last year I had a couple of used growbags that I stuck all the prunings into to root over winter. They are still there, if somewhat overgrown with grass from close by, but I will doubtless not want to throw too many of this year's prunings away. I can delay and prune for cuttings and let you have them if you have the patience to wait a couple of years for a crop from them.

Does that sound like a good idea?

i have never heard of willow wands being used for root hormone before , great tip that. learn some thing new each year.

a brew sounds like a great idea, saturday or sundays only as i am up in doncaster in the week cant do this coming weekend though

as for the root cuttings, how many is how many and i will want to send a signed picture of the queen in reply.

Sunday 13th January 2pm suit you? Just by the lift doors or there abouts!

I'll spring for the tea/coffee and the cuttings will save me having to find another grow bag or cry because I have to throw them away.

You won't want or need anything to do with the queen's head.

Willow tea or honey as a rooting compound - check it out

It seems that we are sat on a significant rooting medium ourselves:

Additional confirmation from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_(plant)

Willow as a rooting hormone
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZzxvt7T1CI[/ame]

Honey as a rooting hormone
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyQX9kUAohk[/ame]

Not just willow - Busy Lizzie in a jar or pot will encourage other plants to root, used it hundreds of times for this.

As for mint - I can root it but it won't grow freely in my garden either. Very sandy soil (sodden sandy soil right now) no need of a bucket to contain it, a few straggly growths and it gives up every time. Other weeds love the soil! Good idea to try a few different mint varieties though, maybe there's one which will tolerate IW soil.

1400 Sunday 13 January - X marks the spot

Sold to the man with the long legs. mobile # . . . 039 still good to go?

Thanks for that HN, I have more willow and honey (not in that order of course) than I have Busy Lizzie, but good to know. We'll sip our tea to you and regret that you are too far away to share a bun :)

You can have a rooted cutting of both garden mint and spearmint from me now - it won't do much until spring but put each of them in a pot of compost and by summer you'll have more than enough for mint sauce every weekend ! PM me with your address and I'll post you some cuttings. Seeds for mint will take a year to establish .. not worth the effort.

Phil

Pete, if you are happy to use Mares Tails instead of mint, I can happily supply a whole flaming garden full.

Among the corriander croppers a bit of rampant mint might not go amiss though . . .

mares tail makes a fabulous hair conditioning treatment. I used to make it before I moved here where I have none growing. Boil up a load of the stuff in a pan, allow to cool, then strain and bottle. After you wash your hair pour a load over and leave in. Dry as usual.

and on the subect of growing things, if anyone would like some rooted cuttings of feverfew and lemon balm, give me a shout.

I understand that mares tail's are high in silicates and OK on the hair treatment. Now if I could only get an industrial complex interested in clearing my garden each autumn, then it would save me a lot of problems.

Unfortunately, the answer seems to be continual attrition, at the moment it's working, but for the mare's tails and not for me. :) My follicles are in less need of conditioning now than they were twenty years ago . . .

Latest posts

Back