mint, mint or mint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Queen Bee
Reaction score
UK, Birmingham, Sandwell. Pork scratching Bandit c
Hive Type
National
i want to grow some mint next year, now since i have none already its going to be seeds off fleabay.

so which mint is best for mint sauce
i was thinking of getting plain bogstandard mint rather than any thing else.

but after looking on fleabay there is about ten different types, spearmint, peppermint and so on,

any suggestions

morrocan mint makes a lovely tea.

i want to grow some mint next year, now since i have none already its going to be seeds off fleabay.

but after looking on fleabay there is about ten different types, spearmint, peppermint and so on,

any suggestions

Polomint?:gnorsi:

any suggestions

If you're having one, Bogstandard or garden mint would be ideal.

Pete we use Garden Mint for the kitchen and also grow spearmint and several other mints but all are grown in buckets as you know they do tend to take over the garden.

Never make mint sauce but we harvest our own mint saving a load of money on mint tea. I'll happily send you some rooted bits of spearmint with young shoots in the Spring...be warned needs fencing in! Got other sorts here but none grows like spearmint. Regular offering on the Apiary Tea raffle table.

Hoverflies love it and the honeybees have been known to if nothing better about.

Please don't buy any seeds, I will send you some and even pay the postage! I have ordinary ( best for mint sauce) apple and spear. Never use the latter two. Height is also an issue but it is all thuggish and unless grown on containers you will regret it!
E

what the problem with the hieghts, i thought standard mint grew to three foot, is yours taller.

and can i just say to those who are blessed with loads of mint that i am jealous of you, i have never been able to get the stuff to take off at the birmingham allotment at all.

i have a couple of sunken barrels i want to grow it in, just never seam to get it going even when i have been given cuttings and root stocks to plant

Pete, if you are happy to use Mares Tails instead of mint, I can happily supply a whole flaming garden full.

Among the corriander croppers a bit of rampant mint might not go amiss though . . .

i have a couple of sunken barrels i want to grow it in, just never seam to get it going even when i have been given cuttings and root stocks to plant

We've tried for years to get mint to grow. It doesn't like to dry out, and if it gets too wet it gets rust.

You could buy a pack of ready cut mint from the supermarket - if you like it, put stems in a jam jar until it roots and then plant it.

You could buy a pack of ready cut mint from the supermarket - if you like it, put stems in a jam jar until it roots and then plant it.
That's what I did, been growing in pots for over 10 years now. Think of them as a cheap source of cuttings.

I found some wild watermint at goring on thames, took a litte cutting....planted in the pond in my garden............still cant get rid of it, even though the pond has long gone

thanks for the offer hombre, but i can grow enough horse tail to be classified as a commercial grower with out trying, the same with all the rest of the idian classic's nect to my plot, the mint they grow is a form of mentha but its very very naff as mint sauce i tried it this year.

deffinatly time to surf the great fleabay monster and to find some english mint seeds to plant up, i think i will stick with the english bog standard mint with a seperate section for some spearmint

We've tried for years to get mint to grow. It doesn't like to dry out, and if it gets too wet it gets rust.

Can you do this for sage and thyme and what do you put in the jam jar with the water and do you use rooting powder ? sorry for so many questions but have a plan next year to grow as many flowering herbs as possible

Ha ha, maybe I should sell the horse tails to the indigenous population along with the bunches of corriander then.

There must be someone close by that has mint in their garden. Just a little bit will soon take off. Much better to go from a cutting with a bit of root than to try from seed I would have thought Pete. Take up one of the offers that have been made for a bit of mint in a month or two. If you get enough coming in by mail, just chop it up for mint sauce and cut out the growing option . . . :)

Can you do this for sage and thyme and what do you put in the jam jar with the water and do you use rooting powder ? sorry for so many questions but have a plan next year to grow as many flowering herbs as possible
Try it next spring, mint sprouts roots in just water on the windowsill. The varieties you get are all robust commercial ones, they may not be perfect for your plot and they won't be the 20 or more varieties you see at some National Trust collections but they're pretty hardy and worth a try for the 60p or so a pack costs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back