Microwave?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birchdale

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi

Never have done this and am just wondering.........
What power level do you use to liquefy a jar of set honey and for how long a blast?
Yep, I know to remove the lid first!

I thought that microwaves were good at heating water so am not sure about heating honey?

Just wondering...

Thanks

Microwaves can have localised areas of heat which could 'damage' the honey so I recommend a bain marie instead.

Try this - but a packed of popadums and put one in on full power - you can see where the hot spots are in your microwave. When it's done it should just start to brown so open the door and allow it to crisp up before eating - simples!

R2

Just give it short bursts in the micro then remove and stir each time.

a pan of hot water is even better.put a couple of spoons in the bottom,should be liquid in a little while.

I stick a whole jar in the microwave for one minute at high. I remove a large teaspoon of honey first as it tends to expand a bit and run over the top. I then stir really well and leave it to cool. This makes it easily useable without burning it. More short bursts and stirring needed to make it runny enough to empty the jar.
I also melt my cappings in the microwave. Full powere for five minutes, stir and leave. The wax sets on the top, make a hole and pour liquid honey into jar. Keep this separate for cooking as it has been heated to a high temperature and can taste 'cooked!'
I once asked on this forum what the flash point of the wax would be. So far the wax hasn't caught fire or exploded but be warned, I guess there is a possibility that this may happen!
Oh! And don't forget to take the lid off any jars! Specially metal ones!
Works for me!!

Back