Microsoft Office for Apple Mac

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlievictorbravo

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
2 - 14x12
Any techies out there who can help me out?

I have a new Mac Book Pro - without a CD disc drive - and want to install Microsoft Office 2008, which is nearest to the Office 2007 I had on my PC and with which I am familiar.

Most of the MS Office for Mac software I see appears to be supplied on CDs. How can I get it on my Mac without a disc drive - external disc drives are quite expensive. Can I get it downloaded using the details in the packaging - codes etc.?

CVB

If you use the latest Office 2011, you can download it from the MS site. Office 2008 is no longer supported by MS, so doubt it's on their site.

If you use the latest Office 2011, you can download it from the MS site. Office 2008 is no longer supported by MS, so doubt it's on their site.

I struggled when I moved from Office 1997 to Office 2007 and I wanted to avoid that by using MS Office for Mac 2008. There are still sealed and brand new packages for sale on the internet but as I said in my first post, they appear to be on a CD and it was the lack of a CD-drive that is the issue.

CVB

Download open office, it's free

Yes, I used Open Office once but the word-processor is not Word and the spreadsheet is not Excel, both of which are industry standards. If you send somebody an Open Office file, they'll have trouble opening it, plus, I'm getting too old to learn a new bit of software. So, thanks but no thanks.

CVB

:nono::nono:

long winded way of doing this

1) install deamon tools for mac on your new mac.

2) copy the whole disk [in this case office 2008] with the program on you want to install onto a usb drive on a computer with a usb slot and cd drive

3) insert your usb drive min the new mac and "mount" it using deamon tools

4)install as usual.

OR [the more complicated but more legal]

If you have a home network "map a network drive"/ or should i say map the cd drive on your old mac with a cd drive, then on your new mac "add network drive" then you can just pop any cd in your old mac and wireless the data over.

Yes, I used Open Office once but the word-processor is not Word and the spreadsheet is not Excel, both of which are industry standards. If you send somebody an Open Office file, they'll have trouble opening it, plus, I'm getting too old to learn a new bit of software. So, thanks but no thanks.

Save it as a word file, then send it? That's what I do, haven't had any problems so far.

I know that you are wanting to avoid Office 2011, but if you are using Outlook you really will want the 2011 version rather than the email client in 2008.

If you are definite in wanting to stay with 2008, you can buy (or borrow) a USB connected DVD drive. Connect, install, disconnect - simples!

Office on Mac is awful and 2011 is the best of the bunch, you'd be much better getting that of the Office365 site.

But you can use ANY external standard usb cd/dvd drive. It does NOT need to be an Apple one. Budget less than £20 for a new one.

The "network drive" and "disk image" suggestions should also work. I wouldn't count on simply copying the disk to a usb stick.

I've no idea about any Yosemite (in)compatibilities, but doubt that MS would bother fixing anything other than the latest version.

Unless you are into obscure functions and macros, Apple's 'Pages' and 'Numbers' do a good job of reading Word & Excel files AND saving as those formats too.

Latest posts

Back