Merry Christmas

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably. It may be called 'Christmas' now but it hasn't always been. Like any religion, it was invented and inspired by previous myths. It is a day for celebrating family and friends for most. No religion needed for that. I'd happily call it something else in our household if it causes confusion or offence to religious people but it is easier just to stick with 'Christmas'.

Misconception, you don't have to be religious to believe in god. Letters to Rome
I wish people would read the bible or at least the Old Testament before talking about such things. I was forced to be religious as a child and I hated it. It wasn't until later on in life that after I read other religious book did I find the truth. I am still none religious but I do believe in god. It comes from within

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I absolutely agree Redwood, I had the same upbringing, But I cant say I hated the religion part, just learned from it and learned to tolerate other peoples views, whatever they may be.

Misconception, you don't have to be religious to believe in god. Letters to Rome
I wish people would read the bible or at least the Old Testament

I may just take you up on that. It has been a while since I've read a good horror story. I understand what you are saying. You don't have to be part of any religion to believe in God. Just like you don't have to be a member of the BBKA to be a good beekeeper. I respect that. It is honourable because it affects and harms no one. In fact, if there were a God (not quite sure which one...Zeus?). I'm sure he would be ashamed of churches, their history and everything they stand for as inventions of man. They have and still cause harm (crusades, preaching sins to poor countries to prevent the use of contraceptives thus causing millions to suffer with disease).

Last edited:
Good for you. And if you still think it's a horror story by the last page I'll shake your hand. You might find the modern version a bit easier to understand

Three religions all believe in Moses and his Ten Commandments, three religions fight each other in the name of god. Obviously something has gone horribly wrong

Religion has always been an excuse, not the cause of war. "Hmm they have good land and lots of wealth"
"Do they follow our religion?"
"No"
"Heathens! We must do god's work and destroy them! God will reward us with land and riches!"

Last edited:
Looks an interesting place.

God of Spinoza.

Similar
Job 12:7-10

7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you,
or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know
that the hand of the Lord has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature
and the breath of all mankind.

Brother Adam was only quoting the bible when he said let the bees tell you

Similar
Job 12:7-10

7 “But ask the animals, and they will teach you,
or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you;
8 or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
or let the fish in the sea inform you.
9 Which of all these does not know
that the hand of the Lord has done this?
10 In his hand is the life of every creature
and the breath of all mankind.

My late father (gardener and beekeeper) - who rarely went to church - was a firm believer in God -he always said 'He was nearer to God in his garden than in any building built for the purpose of getting nearer to God'.

It's a sentiment I very much share these days.

My late father (gardener and beekeeper) - who rarely went to church - was a firm believer in God -he always said 'He was nearer to God in his garden than in any building built for the purpose of getting nearer to God'.

My grandfather was the same - made sure we all went to Sunday School and chapel but the only times he went was for funerals and (under duress)weddings.
Vicar was a regular caller though - to see him not my grandmother!! (she was church in Wales) and about the time I was born our - independent non conformist minister - wrote a special sermon around beekeeping for him. He also used to send his children up to my grandparents when they needed babysitting, as did the vicar, who came out of retirement and travelled halfway across the county to assist at the funeral.

My thought as a boy was why spend valuable time in a church when there was a big world to explore. Little did I know that god created the world for me to explore. Some day I'll get the hang of it lol

Back