Mean green queen saga continues

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha ha ...Ho ho.......your sarcasm is just barely witty!.....I am sure if I were ever in a situation where 'disposal' was the only option....that I would seek the most appropriate method.....take the advice of the experts in that field....and in doing so would discover all the various options. Hopefully, it will never be my misfortune to follow that path as my bees are sufficiently isolated.

I am sure if I were ever in a situation where 'disposal' was the only option....that I would seek the most appropriate method.....take the advice of the experts in that field....and in doing so would discover all the various options.

Since we're on the subject, and accepting that we should always try to save a colony where possible. What is the best way to destroy a colony (I ask because I know there are professional pest exterminators on the forum)?

I have used a product when they have gone into cavities in houses called "expanding foam wasp nest destroyer" by Rentokill before (widely available in shops/garden centres/etc).

Is there a better way?

and your crass stupidity is barely credible

That is uncalled for....firstly I am not stupid.....I may not know all there is to know about bees but that does not make me stupid. I do know an awful lot about other subjects. I am very fortunate to possess the means to make decisions, understand research and the ability to learn.
Secondly....I am not lacking in refinement or sensitivity so it follows that I am not crass either.
I don't understand why you feel the need to make rather unpleasant comment and judgements about people you do not know but I have noticed that you do this on the forum. It really isn't necessary....I haven't called you names or questioned your knowledge of beekeeping.
However, your lack of sensitivity on this thread ...I have called to your attention simply because your comments were hurtful.

Since we're on the subject, and accepting that we should always try to save a colony where possible. What is the best way to destroy a colony (I ask because I know there are professional pest exterminators on the forum)?

I have used a product when they have gone into cavities in houses called "expanding foam wasp nest destroyer" by Rentokill before (widely available in shops/garden centres/etc).

Is there a better way?

When I was considering my options it was mentioned that if you don't want to use petrol (I had them in a ploy hive that would have melted and there was honey in there I wanted to save) then sulphur was mentioned. Apparently it's the way it used to be done. I also considered using co2 on them but hadn't got as far as figuring out the details/dosage.

When I was considering my options it was mentioned that if you don't want to use petrol (I had them in a ploy hive that would have melted and there was honey in there I wanted to save) then sulphur was mentioned. Apparently it's the way it used to be done. I also considered using co2 on them but hadn't got as far as figuring out the details/dosage.

CO2 will only knock them out. I use it as an anaesthetic on the queen when I am doing instrumental insemination.
Sulphur strips used to be used a long time ago when skepists killed the colony in the autumn to harvest all of the honey and wax. I was looking for a modern approach for use when swarms go into peoples houses. I get lots of calls where the swarm isn't recoverable and the homeowners are worried about beestings

There is a series on utube about skep hives. There are quite a few videos. In one of them you see them placing the skeps over burning sulphur to kill the bees.
Many of the methods used are where bees have disease...so saving the equipment isn't an option. An industrial freezer...?
It isn't anything one likes to contemplate.
You have done so well to resolve it...hopefully now your beekeeping will take an upturn...once Meangreenqueen's Daughter is sorted!

You'll be glad to know I got up at crack of dawn to check on the daughter hive. Used all my newly learnt techniques. Tobacco in smoker. Lots of smoke to stop them getting aggressive in the first place, keeping all exposed tops covered by crownboards etc. must say they weren't as bad as I thought. No bees clouded on my veil. No followers. No banana smell. Best of all only one sting. And that was me - my finger.
I have now placed QE between the two brood boxes and supers so I can narrow down where queen is. So many bees though it will be very hard for me to spot an unmarked queen.

Lots of honey in there. Not all capped yet though.

Lots of smoke to stop them getting aggressive in the first place,

Saying that - a few years ago I was asked to tackle a couple of extremely aggressive hives (even the SBI had marked them as monsters!) I decided to try water mist for a change (with smoker ready just in case) so i opened up (no smoke, water or anything) and.................... they were 100% better - didn't use water or smoke in the end and coped with them fine.
Just something to consider - sometimes dousing them with loads of smoke can make things worse not better.

I had some bad hives that literally roared as soon as you gave them the customary bit of smoke "to let them know you're there". Soon learned to stop that nonsense. They were never good but they were a hell of a lot better if you just went through them gently using a few wafts every now and then. Too much smoke, in these girls case, was like a red rag to a bull, they really didn't like smoke.
Having said that I have had one or two hives that simply went berserk the moment you opened them, regardless of whether you smoked them or not.
I figure you have to get to know your own hives peculiarities and deal accordingly.

Got one like that to sort out on Monday for a re-queening.....should be today but I'm putting it off till the weather is a bit cooler. Double gloves, arm covers and the rest, move hive a few feet away to get rid of some of the demons. One of my last local hives to be re-queened, boy will I pleased to see the back of them.

Yesterday we went through the remnants of my mean hive - it had been split into three. Two parts kept several queen cells each and the biggest part became a queenless hive in double brood boxes. The queenless hive was checked through again for sneaky QC, this would be the third time since Wednesday, and given a new local welsh queen. The hive was hopelessly queenless having not had a laying queen in there since Monday 29 june. (RIP petes blue queen). The queen cells in the other hives look about ready to emerge (day 12) and the fact they exist means there was unlikely to have been a virgin running round that nobbled petes queen. Bee inspector still thinks the queen was balled as she took some while to die and hadn't been squished.
As for their behaviour - well they were used for training purposes with some learner beeks. They really weren't bad atall. Obviously being made into 3 hives instead of one suits their temperament. Almost makes me think I imagined it all - until I remember the humiliations they caused me with my neighbours, general public and bee inspector when I rang in floods of tears. Yeh, they had to be cut down to size. The day they were at their very worst and they went ballistic and stung 4 people across the road is the day they did in petes queen. Maybe it was a just bad hair day for them.

Now just need to find an out apiary as I seem to be a 6 hive plus 2 nuc owner. How did that happen!

Yesterday we went through the remnants of my mean hive - it had been split into three. Two parts kept several queen cells each and the biggest part became a queenless hive in double brood boxes. The queenless hive was checked through again for sneaky QC, this would be the third time since Wednesday, and given a new local welsh queen. The hive was hopelessly queenless having not had a laying queen in there since Monday 29 june. (RIP petes blue queen). The queen cells in the other hives look about ready to emerge (day 12) and the fact they exist means there was unlikely to have been a virgin running round that nobbled petes queen. Bee inspector still thinks the queen was balled as she took some while to die and hadn't been squished.
As for their behaviour - well they were used for training purposes with some learner beeks. They really weren't bad atall. Obviously being made into 3 hives instead of one suits their temperament. Almost makes me think I imagined it all - until I remember the humiliations they caused me with my neighbours, general public and bee inspector when I rang in floods of tears. Yeh, they had to be cut down to size. The day they were at their very worst and they went ballistic and stung 4 people across the road is the day they did in petes queen. Maybe it was a just bad hair day for them.

Now just need to find an out apiary as I seem to be a 6 hive plus 2 nuc owner. How did that happen!

And next spring youll end up hiving the two nucs, AS'ing the 6 hives, ending up with 12, then struggling to know whether to combine or not. Best buy some more equipment, it really takes over your life doesnt it :)

Hi Obee1,
Thanks for the update. There is definitely a safety in numbers issue in nature, so it does not surprise me that they have piped down. They will probably be back on form in due course if genetics are kept in the other two hives. Let's face it they are probably traumatised by their moves and splitting at the moment. Well, this is what bee inspectors are for putting out fires. Preferable to dealing with disease, I'm sure. All is well that ends well. Keep us posted.

Hi Obee1,
Thanks for the update. There is definitely a safety in numbers issue in nature, so it does not surprise me that they have piped down. They will probably be back on form in due course if genetics are kept in the other two hives. Let's face it they are probably traumatised by their moves and splitting at the moment. Well, this is what bee inspectors are for putting out fires. Preferable to dealing with disease, I'm sure. All is well that ends well. Keep us posted.
Hi beeno. They should not get back to real meanies because I squished meangreen. They then had petes queen running round for two weeks laying eggs before she died. The new queen cells are from petes queen. ( come on beeno you need to keep up here!):icon_204-2:
I know some Beeks think that the daughters of petes queen can be iffy. We will see.

I know some Beeks think that the daughters of petes queen can be iffy. We will see.

Many years ago, I had Buckfasts from Brother Adam and Peter Donnovan. At the time I was impressed and sought to breed from them. It didn't work. Even the first generation was vicious. I put it down to the influence of the drones

Last edited:
Many years ago, I had Buckfasts from Brother Adam and Peter Donnovan. At the time I was impressed and sought to breed from them. It didn't work. Even the first generation was vicious. I put it down to the influence of the drones

Thanks b+. Just as I was starting to get over the trauma and look forward some nice colonies...

Latest posts

Back