Making a huge increase in numbers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m based in Greater Manchester. We expanded from around 75 hives in 2020 to over 200 hives in 2021.

The expansion was not easy. We didn’t want to split existing stock as we needed strong honey producing colonies to meet demand, so ended up buying in.

We made the classic mistake of just buying stock without thinking about its provenance, so the first 50 colonies purchased from a retiring beekeeper were a mixed bag. I should have inspected everything before purchase, but I let my enthusiasm get the better of me. It created a huge amount of additional work improving the stock.

The other 75 I was much more selective. I paid more, but they are excellent bees. They have been a joy to work, so we’ll worth the additional investment.

I’m repeating existing advice, but managing 100 colonies is nothing like managing 50, and managing 200 colonies is nothing like managing 100. It takes real investment, both financially, mentally, physically . . . as well as taking-up more time than most full time jobs.

Happy to chat to your friend if they are genuinely pursuing this and are not just trying to make a fast buck.

not just trying to make a fast buck.
to increase from 20 to 100 stocks in a season. Not nucs mind but good strong stocks ready to successfully over winter
I did wonder what drove the original question, but decided that a fast buck wasn't the goal.

If that had been the case, nuc production would have given an easier, quicker and greater return, given market supply pressure following the ban on import packages and the high price of nucs.

What's the backstory, PH?

As long as the beek is not intending on having a honey crop as well? I reckon that may really be pushing it if this beek is only using his/her exisitng stock and also intending in raising his/her own queens as this may take a fair bit of resources?
Nanysbees some are running hundreds single handed. One is managing thousands. Being organised is certainly part of that for sure.

PH
Being organised? I think you mean not having a life for 8 months of the year 🤣

How many hives worth of kit have you bought?
So far I’ve got about 50 flat packed in the shed. Have spent the day today treating with preservative but a good few more days worth of making. Haven’t even started on the frames yet! Tho that’ll be an easier indoor job in the dark evenings.

So far I’ve got about 50 flat packed in the shed. Have spent the day today treating with preservative but a good few more days worth of making. Haven’t even started on the frames yet! Tho that’ll be an easier indoor job in the dark evenings.

Good luck. Hope it works out well.

Back