Making a huge increase in numbers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was asked last night if it was possible to increase from 20 to 100 stocks in a season. Not nucs mind but good strong stocks ready to successfully over winter?

PH
I can't imagine how you would look after so many hives, how do you get around inspecting all those weekly throughout the busy season!!! Would you have to have an army of helpers!!! I should imagine you'd need o be very organised, have a tight schedule and could you work and have that many hives? Blinking heck my four are enough for us!!!!🐝🐝🐝🐝

How do you manage all those hives?????

Didn't he end up in court over some shooting incident?
He runs a posh restaurant now
Seem to remember that he made a beekeeping return a couple of years ago too. Not sure what happened there. He did design a very popular nuc box though!

Reactions: mbc
Didn't he end up in court over some shooting incident?
He runs a posh restaurant now
William Alldis was found not guilty in October 2020 of charges relating to the shooting of a deer in a public place.

The media picked up on the initial story but not all followed it to the end. The Romford Recorder gave the complete picture.

The Shotgun Chef's cooking was by several accounts a success (and The Guardian Startup of the Year in 2014) though I never got to eat there.

On TripAdvisor the Cart Shed restaurant scored 4 of 5 stars; a few years later a barn fire put paid to the venture.

William may not be the world's greatest businessman, but he's one of the most knowledgeable beekeepers I've come across and a man with a very good heart.

Last edited:
He did design a very popular nuc box though!
Yes, I heard similar.

Story was that William took his prototype poly nuc box to the National Honey Show (years before poly nuc boxes were about) where a competitor took the opportunity to copy the design and rush to manufacture in bulk.

I can't imagine how you would look after so many hives, how do you get around inspecting all those weekly throughout the busy season!!! Would you have to have an army of helpers
One person can easily manage a hundred hives, you just have to disregard the obsessive shuffling, scraping 'tidying up' and staring at comb that most beginners are taught to do by their BKA 'master' beekeepers, I've seen mentors take longer to 'clean up' a crown board at the beginning of an inspection than I need to inspect a whole colony when on a roll. Five minutes per hive is ample - some would say a luxury

Which one? Do you know?
He posted pictures of the initial design which bears a striking resemblance to the current Paynes poly nuc on a public forum (maybe this one) many years ago.
I remember as I was quite excited at it becoming available, a game changer.

He posted pictures of the initial design which bears a striking resemblance to the current Paynes poly nuc on a public forum (maybe this one) many years ago.
I remember as I was quite excited at it becoming available, a game changer.
Yes and also had it detailed nicely on his own website before it ever reached production stage.

I can't imagine how you would look after so many hives, how do you get around inspecting all those weekly throughout the busy season!!! Would you have to have an army of helpers!!! I should imagine you'd need o be very organised, have a tight schedule and could you work and have that many hives? Blinking heck my four are enough for us!!!!🐝🐝🐝🐝

How do you manage all those hives?????
One person can easily manage a hundred hives, you just have to disregard the obsessive shuffling, scraping 'tidying up' and staring at comb that most beginners are taught to do by their BKA 'master' beekeepers, I've seen mentors take longer to 'clean up' a crown board at the beginning of an inspection than I need to inspect a whole colony when on a roll. Five minutes per hive is ample - some would say a luxury
I agree with you, I know you think I'm a fafer when it comes to inspections but 5 mins I'd OK but sometimes it does take longer.
Hive inspections are various for each colony, I think having production, mating, minis in there own apiarys helps, also found for myself a rotation of days helped me last season.
What's a pain personally is travelling around stock at home I have 70 sq miles to travel around and at work 2.500 acres and 5 hills.
Maybe for me it's a little different to some BFs??

travelling
If travel doesn't justify the return (and as productive apiaries 3 miles apart are but a dream) then an apiary ought to be abandoned.

Heard of one thoughtful beefarmer whose apiaries are all close to the M25.

I aim to access them from the A10, M11, A12 and A13 - all direct escape routes from this part of London. Out at 5 or 6 and back late avoids grid-locks, but I'll be going against the flow of the herd anyway.

Years ago I went through the Blackwall tunnel at 8am to an orchard job in Kent (pruning). Southbound empty, Northbound tailback into the City at least five miles and barely moving (and there lies one cause of poor city air quality).

Surrey trips to bees - 1.5hrs across London and down the A3 - are justifiable because I go to shop for Mum (92 and still going).

Nanysbees some are running hundreds single handed. One is managing thousands. Being organised is certainly part of that for sure.

PH
Incredible I'd need an army to help😄

I'd need an army to help
Not necessarily.

Way to do it without the wheels falling off is to increase numbers in line with experience and funds to buy kit. By contrast, I recall a conversation years ago at a queen rearing workshop at a BBKA Spring Convention. The person was a financial advisor or similar (either way, stuck in a monotonous office) and since the epiphany of two hives at the bottom of her garden, had decided to throw it all up and become a beefarmer and run 60 colonies straightaway.

Not only that, she was determined to go out and buy a new Land Rover! I was taken aback by this overwhelming zeal for bees beyond her experience (I was running half a dozen at the time without much of a clue) and often wonder what happened to her and her partner (and the expensive Land Rover).

Once you get past ten or twenty a lot of hobby habits go out of the window. For example, one of the best pieces of advice I had was from a young Czech beefarmer: manage bees by apiary, not colony. He'd grown up in a family runnng 400, so worth listening to, and he didn't ever look knackered.

Simplicity of operation is another necessity: kit must be interchangeable completely, methods to deal with swarming must minimise equipment and optimise time, and flexibility of thinking is not optional. Mistakes are valuable, because they're fuel on the fire of development.

If I keep at it, I might get there eventually. :)

Not necessarily.

Way to do it without the wheels falling off is to increase numbers in line with experience and funds to buy kit. By contrast, I recall a conversation years ago at a queen rearing workshop at a BBKA Spring Convention. The person was a financial advisor or similar (either way, stuck in a monotonous office) and since the epiphany of two hives at the bottom of her garden, had decided to throw it all up and become a beefarmer and run 60 colonies straightaway.

Not only that, she was determined to go out and buy a new Land Rover! I was taken aback by this overwhelming zeal for bees beyond her experience (I was running half a dozen at the time without much of a clue) and often wonder what happened to her and her partner (and the expensive Land Rover).

Once you get past ten or twenty a lot of hobby habits go out of the window. For example, one of the best pieces of advice I had was from a young Czech beefarmer: manage bees by apiary, not colony. He'd grown up in a family runnng 400, so worth listening to, and he didn't ever look knackered.

Simplicity of operation is another necessity: kit must be interchangeable completely, methods to deal with swarming must minimise equipment and optimise time, and flexibility of thinking is not optional. Mistakes are valuable, because they're fuel on the fire of development.

If I keep at it, I might get there eventually. :)
Really interesting and makes sense. I really admire beekeepers with so many hives but as you say it's experience that pays off.

experience that pays off
Not if you stagnate once you get past the basics, and only if you drag yourself out of the comfort zone described by JBM:
disregard the obsessive shuffling, scraping 'tidying up' and staring at comb that most beginners are taught

Bear in mind that the standard of beekeeping in this country is very low (probably always has been) and anything you can do to broaden your understanding, abandon old habits and get out of the shadow of the BBKA will help you to improve.

Once I met a second year beekeeper who had bought a lot of material for comb honey production

Back