Made (another) silly mistake

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilybetbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I had left a part filled super in the porch whilst I was sorting out my hives. Closed all the hives up, went back to the house to find the porch full of bees as I'd forgotten to close the outer door.:eek:
Took the super away and dealt with that but still have a porch full of bees. If I open the outer door, more come in, do I just leave them in there and use the other door to the house or is there a cunning way to make them leave?

Ha ha! Wait three days!

Use an alternative door and sort out that super well away, so the smell is not still attracting them.

You may be lucky and they will go before then. If they got to the stage of returning to the hives with their robbing spoils, there could be a lot more following.

Hi ..They will leave on their own accord.......they can smell where you left the super ,just make sure there's no drops of honey on the floor and all will be ok
Bram

I've shut them in as more seemed to be arriving rather than them leaving. Just glad that they didn't get through the next door to where the honey is!

I did very similar a coupe of weeks ago! I stacked 10 'wet' supers by my backdoor ready to load into my van and store, they were only there half an hour and when I went out to move was met by a very large contingent. I had to put my bee suit on to move them and even next day there were a few visiting the place were they were stacked.
Spun off some more today and took them straight to my van, lesson learnt
S

I done similarly today, left in hurry to get swarm left door open as I was filtering and jarring up, now full of bees also attacking when trying to move everything to a more secure place

You know, there was a post last year about a poor sod who had left a honey tank valve open and had flooded his conservatory? floor and bees had got in ....in their thousands.
Dead and drowning bees and a real catastrophe
Anybody remember it?

Yes, I remember, didn't a helpful family member open windows 'to let the bees out'. That scenario was in my mind.

Wasn't it Dpearce who left a stack of supers to warm up ready for extracting in a sealed conservatory and a family member opened the windows because it was so hot in there?

Latest posts

Back