Lost my Lovely Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I lose a swarm from Buckybeast, I have a problem. It's 5 full deeps. I'm living dangerously because she has laid up the bottom brood box and I mostly took the top box - largely sealed - up for the Demaree, repacing it with frames that had a fair amount of nectar. Fingers crossed for a week while the roles of the boxes reverse.

Update........turned out to be a swarm from somewhere else. I knew one hive was ready to go and was building a ply double nuce to split them into and heard this awfull roaring sound and saw a swarm starting to gather in a hedge near the hive. unknowing to me puting 3 small holes in my veil. panicing I didn't allow them to settle and although i thought they were going into a bait box, they left. Thinking back they were the wrong colour. Two days later, finished box and while transfering the frames 5 bees got into my veil. Thus With my face like a balloon I haven't got back to tell you.

Nasty! I bought a second hand suit for my missis, a full suit from BB wear, i think the guy i bought it from must have stood on the veil, she put it on to help me for her first time & i noticed the veil split right across the bottom, how lucky was she Lol, we got it restitched so its ok now.

Says he who lets colonies die over winter under the premise of 'survival of the fittest' rather than neglectful management practices and leaving a roaring gale through the hive

Rubbish - I haven't lost a colony over the past 3 winters and only one in the last 7 and that was from starvation. Your losses probably greater?

Latest posts

Back