Lighting a Smoker in the Open

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycadman

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So far in my experience of beekeeping I have bee able to light up the smoker easily. First I kept bees in a school, I had a Lab., Bunsen burners - smoker lit in a "flash". I now keep my bees at the back of a greenhouse - so shelter to start up the smoker easily. I now have the opportunity to develop an out apiary in a field. I have had no experience of lighting the smoker in such an open situation and would appreciate advice.

I can't say I've had too much problem just using a match, to be honest! ;)

I used to have (and plan to buy again), a candle lighter device - it is basically just a normal lighter that is on the end of a long stick - so I can keep 4" away from the flames... which is just as well - with leather gloves on - I seem to manage to almost set fire to myself quite frequently! :willy_nilly:

Many thanks for the above advice.

Does a blow torch not get blown out in the open?

Long stemmed lighter works well light the smoker fuel in the smoker which keeps the wind out

Does a blow torch not get blown out in the open?

It should take nothing short of a hurricane to blow out a proper blow torch!

Granted - if you have a few hives - I know several people who carry portable blow-torches around and light their smokers with them - as they're quick and easy, and are useful for flaming hives, where necessary.

Long stemmed lighter works well light the smoker fuel in the smoker which keeps the wind out

I use one of these and it works well, usually.

no probs using blowtorch in open PLUS you need one anyway for hive sterilisation duties (as mentioned by someone else).

blowtorch (plus flat bladed svrewdriver) also handy to keep to hand in case of need to cauterise a wound (eg when a large turkey has lost a claw when disembarking awkwardly from the roof rack of a 4x4, one would imagine).

Last edited:
I use a simple match plus a bit of news paper, then when that is alight I add some very well rotten wood, so rotten if you press it it crumbles.

Works for me.

PH

Many thanks again for the advice.

So should not be a problem. Will stick to the blowtorch I think.

First hive to me moved there at weekend.

Will report back.

Andy

Hi there.

I also use a small portable blow torch with standard gas cartridge and piezo igniter.

Wouldn't want to miss it anymore.

Greets Phil

Many thanks again for the advice.

So should not be a problem. Will stick to the blowtorch I think.

First hive to me moved there at weekend.

Will report back.

Andy

Now just the problem of lighting the blow torch :laughing-smiley-014

Now just the problem of lighting the blow torch :laughing-smiley-014

Lowest possible setting, and whack it up a bit as soon as it catches. But what I really wanted to say was Please check each time you start and finish that the canister is screwed really tightly to the head.

Have fun!

Matches and newspapper plus compressed cotten

A self igniting Wickes blwotorch.. , smoker laid sideways, blowtorch at edge... furnace in 2 minutes.

(I use wood offcuts cut down thin to act as kindling... about 2 x match width...)

Back