Light-bulb Moment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleoPerson

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
During the summer, I had a call to to collect a swarm in a dustbin.

When I arrived, I discovered that the bin was full of water, with the cluster on the lid of the bin. Simple, drop bees into nuc and leave it in appropriate place and allow the fliers to follow the scent.

This was when I discovered that they were queenless. The queen had probably drowned along with approx 50% of the swarm. They all flew out and then onto the side of the dustbin.

Then the light-bulb moment, I had done an inspection earlier and had some queen cells in my wax bucket.

Placed a queen cell (grub was dead), placed in nuc, all bees ran in.

Then united later with another nuc
Simples :)

What a coinidence ... had one just like that!!

But this dustbin was full of toadstools

not muchroom inside

During the summer, I had a call to to collect a swarm in a dustbin.

When I arrived, I discovered that the bin was full of water, with the cluster on the lid of the bin. Simple, drop bees into nuc and leave it in appropriate place and allow the fliers to follow the scent.

This was when I discovered that they were queenless. The queen had probably drowned along with approx 50% of the swarm. They all flew out and then onto the side of the dustbin.

Then the light-bulb moment, I had done an inspection earlier and had some queen cells in my wax bucket.

Then united later with another

Simples :)

Thats amazing and a new one for me.I take it that the queen cells was still open and how long before you would think it was to be sealed

Back