Life at Frisby

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Course nothing much is happening with the bees . . I made some polystyrene and plywood dummy boards and put them in on a recent mild day, I removed any empty foundation and put them up to that. I have been reading my R.O.B. Manley book "Bee Keeping in Britain" he suggests that it isn't cold in this country that is the problem in winter, but damp, so it is more important to have ventilation than insulation. I have tried to compromise.

I've also started making another hive stand as I stupidly made one too small so the hive teeters on the edge (tut)

The floods have gone down, but the field is still very muddy and wet. I've confined some of my meat birds to barracks as they were running around too much and not putting on enough weight, they are still outdoors - but in a run instead of loose all day. The first of my this years hatch females has started to lay. . .I got a huge and bloody egg today - poor girl.

My one remaining turkey from this years hatch which I thought for a long time was a female gobbled at me yesterday so that was a blow. turkeys seem to be difficult to rear, they die for no apparent reason:confused: I hatched 4, but only this one remains and he has now signed his one way ticket

Latest posts

Back