Legal to kill bees ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not asking how to do it.
I'm asking: what practical advice we, as beekeepers, can give to farm/estate managers when a swarm lands in a chimney?

Just a thought........
Would evaporating "Bee Quick" or similar product in a vaporiser in the hearth dislodge a new swarm?

Just a thought........
Would evaporating "Bee Quick" or similar product in a vaporiser in the hearth dislodge a new swarm?

I had a similar thought - lighting one of those smoke bombs - but that won't work. These are Victorian houses with huge chimneys. They're really high up too. I think pest exterminators don't want to know because they're so awkward

Steve1958, I believe you are right, but I think it can be stated more clearly:

You can poison bees. The tricky legal issue is that you will then probably, inadvertently kill other species, which ARE protected, lured to the remnant honey trap.

Finman, round here the price of a swarm is usually zero. We gift each other swarms to fill empty hives. Sometimes, if the collection took a lot of time or petrol we charge up to £30.

Few years ago I cut out an old fascia board and found old comb. next day a swarm moved in next day got moved jobs. And found out the boss got them sprayed! Would have taken them for free if I had known and he knew I kept bees! Unfortunately since then I’ve done nothing but tell 2nd home owners that bees aren’t wasps and bumble bees are fine ����

Back