Legal to kill bees ??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbarian

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am on the BBKA Swarm Collectors List.
I frequently get calls from the public who have been told by the local council that bees are protected or a pest control firm saying that DEFRA will heavily fine if bees are killed.
If bees are in a domestic wall cavity and an occupant is allergic to bee stings can the bees be killed ?

No. It is a myth. They are not protected but many of the pesticides used to kill them may be only used by authorised people!

I am on the BBKA Swarm Collectors List.
I frequently get calls from the public who have been told by the local council that bees are protected or a pest control firm saying that DEFRA will heavily fine if bees are killed.
If bees are in a domestic wall cavity and an occupant is allergic to bee stings can the bees be killed ?

The Act to read is the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/69 ). The important part is the Schedules attached at the end. I don't see Apis mellifera there, do you?

Last edited:
It is legal. However, many companies are reluctant to do so either because of the "At risk " or "endangered" status of many British pollinators, or because of the requirement to remove any contaminated honey due to the risk of robbing.

They are endangered not protected but a lot of local authorities and pest control company's choose not to treat bees.
I think some people see endangered as protected and get there wires crossed.

We have arranged for honey bees to be removed from cavity walls in the past, with the assistance of bee keepers , however the the cost is usually far to much for home owners.

most of the insecticides are very specific these days as to what and how they can be used. gone are the days of use this to kill flying insects.

LOL.

In my view if the bees are in the wrong place doing the wrong things and people are at their wits ends then yes perfectly ethical and I have in my time destroyed some.

In a perfect world it would not be needed but there are times when needs must.

PH

LOL.

In my view if the bees are in the wrong place doing the wrong things and people are at their wits ends then yes perfectly ethical and I have in my time destroyed some.

In a perfect world it would not be needed but there are times when needs must.

PH

:iagree:

Bee Inspectors kill colonies every week: those with AFB.

Bees produce a food item.
I think this allows a colony protection.
It will be illegal to knowingly contaminate the food.
In killing the bees with any form of insecticide you are poisoning the honey.

There is also the problem of contaminating a food chain if poison of any kind is used.
Whilst many would consider poisoning insects to be little risk, it does pose a risk

I always think of the innocent drinking straws.
Apparently their use is destroying the planet

It is legal. However, many companies are reluctant to do so either because of the "At risk " or "endangered" status of many British pollinators, or because of the requirement to remove any contaminated honey due to the risk of robbing.
:iagree:
That last bit could be your real problem.

I had a call this evening from a large historic estate where I keep my some of my bees. One of the farm houses (listed building) has had a swarm moved into the chimney.
I am interested in what advice to give. Pest exterminators believe it is illegal and won't do it. Beekeepers aren't builders so can't (and shouldn't) affect the fabric of a building. Nevertheless, we should be able to offer some practical advice rather than just shrugging our shoulders and saying "Sorry, I can't help".
I keep bees nearby but I know for a fact that they aren't from my colonies (my queens are numbered and all present). In fact a swarm arrived in one of my empty hives last week.
There is another beekeeper who has colonies not too far away, so, I suspect they're his.

Honey bees are neither endangered nor protected

neither are beekeeperes in this neck of the woods... bees seem to be replacing Alpacas and Ostriches as the new "must to keep" animals!

Next person who asks "do you have any free swarms you would like to give away??"... followed by " I have done a course" will get the phone hung up on them!!

Yeghes da

Pest exterminators believe it is illegal and won't do it. .

Most pest controllers know it is legal to kill bees.
Ones round our way do anyway. I have a list of their telephone numbers that I pass on to people who find they have swarms inside building/cavity walls etc.

Most pest controllers know it is legal to kill bees.
Ones round our way do anyway. I have a list of their telephone numbers that I pass on to people who find they have swarms inside building/cavity walls etc.

Sadly, thats not much help to my contact down here.
I want to help but there's nothing I can do. Also, I'm concerned that the appearance of these swarms makes me look bad too.

Back