Legal Label?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beeboybee

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
6 >12 - 14x12 + Nucs
Hi All, hope everyone is having a good season.

would the Following Text be Ok on my jars to sell at the door?

FRONT TEXT

Hockpitt Honey

Pure honey from the Quantock Hills

Direct from your local beekeeper

BACK or SIDE TEXT

100% raw unfiltered, cold extracted, unpasteurised
British honey straight from the hive.

NAME & ADDRESS & TELEPHONE NUMBER

450 g

Best before:
Lot Number:

I think you have everything and asked this question on here recently. I was helpfully directed to

bespokehoneylabels.co.uk

they have a concise explanation of all the regulations on their site

You may need to add ...
Product of the UK

and use labels that are waterproof ( ie most inkjet type printer inks are not.. and run if they get damp.... have tried hairspray as a waterproofer.)
Print also has to be of a specific size font depending on weight.

Many honey bottlers have moved away from 1lb (454g) jars to 8oz (227g) as profit margin and " saleabilitey" can be better on the smaller quantity

Yeghes da

I think you have everything and asked this question on here recently. I was helpfully directed to

bespokehoneylabels.co.uk

they have a concise explanation of all the regulations on their site

Plus I believe they are set up to carry out small runs of say 25 labels if necessary?

Yeghes da

the regulations are there but I believe product of the uk, and lot numbers although desirable are only required if you sell to resellers and not if you sell small volumes direct to the consumer.

True... but a PITA when someone buys 20 jars and sells it on at a car boot... or at three times the price in their flash London delli!!

Yeghes da

If I were to be super-picky, I'd be inclined to change one line to "Direct from the bees of your local beekeeper" because, strictly speaking, the bees produce the honey. This emphasises the collaborative effort of bees and beekeeper.

CVB

FRONT TEXT

Hockpitt Honey

BACK or SIDE TEXT

450 g

Best before:
Lot Number:

I would delete " 100% raw unfiltered, cold extracted, unpasteurised" "Pure honey" is adequate. I would change British honey to English. Just a suggestion.

I would delete " 100% raw unfiltered, cold extracted, unpasteurised" "Pure honey" is adequate. I would change British honey to English. Just a suggestion.

The question I'm most frequently asked when selling honey is "Is it raw" or "Has it been heated" so I'm quite comfortable with your short explanation of how the honey is produced. "Pure Honey" is what importers use to describe stuff that comes from the middle and far east that sells for £2 a pound.

CVB

I had a look at some jars in pricy deli and 'raw' was everywhere! I think it's a useful marketing word. Completely meaningless (what even is cooked honey) but if one more word gets you more per jar....

I'd be careful with 'unfiltered' though, unless you genuinely don't filter out cappings/dead bee parts.

Our Local Trading standards are coming down on words like raw, (the only Raw honey is Cut comb and even this if you then add honey to make weights standard may not meet this term) you need to remove it as it has no meaning and can actually be misleading. If you have warmed your honey to turn it from set to runny also means it has been heated so you cannot now use that and it can be tested for.

Even straining is filtering of sorts so this has to be removed.
Cold extracted, didn't know you were producing olive oil, again means nothing so you could be asked by Trading standard to remove it.

Just make your labels as simple as possible, if people want to know more they will ask and as long as you are truthful about what you say, ie the honey has been strained not filtered, warmed to return to a runny state after you have allowed it to set in the buckets you store it in, you wont be warned by Trading Standards staff doing spot checks.

Invisible Labels

I love this hobby and this forum. If you want to get into the science and regulations, it's all there for you in Beekeeping, and it's all good, but sometimes I tend to think it's good to take a step back and not take everything so literally or seriously ...

... see, for example the labelling on this (doubtless delicious) honey on public sale in a market in the Algarve, which I spotted. I'm sure they have the same regulations in Portugal as we do here :)

Hopefully the image attaches OK.

IMG_20150713_113025.jpg

I love this hobby and this forum. If you want to get into the science and regulations, it's all there for you in Beekeeping, and it's all good, but sometimes I tend to think it's good to take a step back and not take everything so literally or seriously ...

... see, for example the labelling on this (doubtless delicious) honey on public sale in a market in the Algarve, which I spotted. I'm sure they have the same regulations in Portugal as we do here :)

Hopefully the image attaches OK.

View attachment 14395

You are right they prob have the same regs as us. what they don't have is overbearing, officious, pen pushing little Hitlers that think they are god and will take people to court for even the smallest of misdemeanours.

Sellers be aware ignorance is no defence in law.

Don't think you need "pure" and not sure there is a definition in the UK for "raw", is there?

On a slightly more pedantic note, are you not extracting this from the frames? In which case, it is not STRAIGHT from the hives. And no doubt there ill be a degree of filtering.

Also, if it is unpasteurised, that is all most people want to know. But Will you not be storing any of your honey if you produce excess?

If so, good luck getting it out of the buckets into jars if you do not use any heat. You could be making a rod for your own back if you did, as you wouldn't be able to use your lovely new, expensive labels.

FRONT TEXT

Hockpitt Honey

BACK or SIDE TEXT

450 g

Best before:
Lot Number:

You are right they prob have the same regs as us. what they don't have is overbearing, officious, pen pushing little Hitlers that think they are god and will take people to court for even the smallest of misdemeanours.

Sellers be aware ignorance is no defence in law.

They probably also don't have lawyers and people willing to sue at the slightest chance of getting a buck out of you.

I have always found trading standards to be very fair and helpful, offering advice when approached. We recently had our labels spot checked by them and they were absolutely fine.
s

Back