Leaving granulated honey on Frames over winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm sure this has been answered before but due to illness this year I was unable to extract the honey (mostly OSR) which is now granulated in the frames.
can I leave this honey under the brood box or will they not take it?

Why under the brood box? Is this for wintering, or to get it moved now?

Frames moved to under the brood area will be moved up by the bees - they do not want their food stores unprotected (and likely open to any infection from any brood?).

I generally feed back some odds and ends as necessary by this method. Granulated will take longer to move and may be left if easier pickings are available.

This is one of those times I would say leave it on top of the brood box for the winter. However..... For some reason if bees do decide to move it it seems to be less solid after the second time it has been through their organs!
E

If it is OSR my experience tells me that the bees wont touch it. I left five frames of OSR on over last winter and they didn't or rather couldn't touch it. I ended up crushing and melting down. Real shame about the comb, but if you don't extract in time that's the price you pay! This year I was on the ball and got all of my OSR off and extracted before it had time to set like concrete.

Running crystallised frames under the warm tap will soften and dilute the crystallised honey sufficiently for the bees to move at least some, if not all of it, and use it over winter. For this reason best put under the BBs.

Latest posts

Back