Late Swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tigger

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

Yesterday I looked in the brood box of a not very strong colony, expecting just continued egg laying.

Found no eggs or larvae but two decent sealed Q cells and a couple of what seem to be tiny sealed Q cells.

(23 August five frames had some brood/eggs at various stages).

So Q has left with swarm, I presume.

I reduced to one good Q cell.

My question is whether it's unusual for a colony to swarm so late. What conclusions can be drawn?

Thanks

Were you treating at all? I had some odd behaviour today and lost a small swarm: for the life of me can't work out where and the best idea I can come up with is that it was a partial abscondment from one of the (small) colonies I was treating with MAQS. Annoying.

IMO probably more chance she’s failed than swarmed but it’s possible. I’d have probably left a couple of decent cells as they would have most likely sorted it out themselves this time of year!

They will be there. How are you doing the "detecting"?
The usual white board under the mesh floor. checked about once a week. cleaned off and put back in. I know what varroa look like as I had a lot last year.
Thanks.

Fair enough, but not very accurate. It simply shows the number of phoretic mites that die and drop off and remain on the board. If I decided to be treatment free I would only rely on alcohol wash monitoring

The usual white board under the mesh floor. checked about once a week. cleaned off and put back in. I know what varroa look like as I had a lot last year.
Thanks.
Natural drop is a poor indicator. I have in the past had colonies drop very little then drop hundreds after a vape

Agreed. I did a natural drop check drop a month or so ago and very little. After putting Apivar on I can see quite how infested they actually were.

Attachments

• 410A7A23-508B-4746-B26D-992CC2520C17.jpeg
    410A7A23-508B-4746-B26D-992CC2520C17.jpeg
    853 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Back