Keeping bees indoors?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clv101

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
nine 14x12
I've recently seen a British company that keeps some 30 hives indoors. With a couple of kW heating, they are kept at 21C and fed pollen substitute and syrup. This lets them raise bees all year around?

How does it work? There are holes allowing them to fly outside - for toilet breaks and water I presume, but how does their annual brood cycle work? Anyone keep indoors bees?

Health warning: it's William again:ohthedrama:

Anyway, I would hazard a guess that battery bees will have weakened immune systems which is just not good for them. Sugar syrups and pollen substitute is not a long-term diet. But very little to go on from the short piece I read.

Last edited:
Were these not British Bumblebees... or are the !garden hive" bumblebees all bred in pollytunnels in Belgium?

What are the bees used for: "honey¬" production; Q rearing, nuc rearing, pollination and so on?

Russ

These are honey bees, being raised for sale as far as I can tell.

;)
The bumbles are sold as garden pollinators....
not read of beebreeding indoors,,,, a link maybee?:thanks:

The reason I asked was the OP mentioned 30 hives, I assumed they were proper hives.
The artificial terminators "breed indoors" so to speak.

So was just banding around a few options to give us all a clue!
Good guess then, not a bee framer/ honey producer from Somerset region ;) ;)
Russ

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Well...............

My obs hive is indoors in my lounge which during the daytime should be at approx 22 c. and 18c at night.

but guess what?

amazingly they do still have enough sense not to go out when its below about 10c outside.

er.. is this the company who ah er.. well..
some people were not happy with?

Last edited:
Wasn't there a thread recently where they'd been wound up, WPF bees that is not all the BK's pizzed off by them?

Russ

Wasn't there a thread recently where they'd been wound up, WPF bees that is not all the BK's pizzed off by them?

Russ

Yup.

Company Number: 07505431
31 Jul 2012 Final Dissolution

They might have got the idea from this guy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wrqG4DHPKE[/ame]

No claims of bee-breeding all year round though, just over-wintering a few NUCs ...

LJ

Don't fall for that story from W**ld Farm, he's caused a lot of grief with his lies. I still don't understand how his website can remain trading as normal when its going under? Some people are going to get caught out and will be off putting for a new beginner to trust another "bee keeper".

Last edited:
Back