Just wondering what others would do.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine was in the same situation as yours, decided to close floor, smallest entrance on front of hive, one pint of 1 to 1 on hive no more to get started, one week ago put brood box under brood to keep heat in top of hive, now warmed up a bit done hive check 6 1/2 brood 5 capped rest grubs and rest eggs, running out of space put bottom brood box on top to start to warm up for bees to start to draw, see how they get on next weekend might give some 1 to 1 if needs boost but only a pint at a time still bottom board in for now

Like the way you are reading what the bees want and need yeogi. If I am reborn as a bee can I be one of yours! :winner1st:
E

Adding frame of brood

Hi

Strongest hive has four full frames of sealed brood and two of eggs and larvae so think I will add one sealed, near emerging I hope, to the weakest which is still laying but still very small.

Question, I think I need to add nurse bees as well but some posts say don't and others advise a light spray with weak sugar will reduce problems. Any thoughts or advice appreciated.

Simon

Baby bees won't (can't) fight with each other.
So they can be combined from plural hives, for example for loading Apideas.

However, they can be recognised as strangers - which is why emerging brood is the best source.

A really heavy dusting of icing sugar (for all the frames) generates sufficient confusion that another dusted frame of bees from a different source doesn't seem to be noticed.

Back