June Gap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm experiencing a June gap here, bees on the rob, eating up stores ( water collecting), no nectar shake and grumpy bees. Brambles coming into flower but yielding next to nowt as yet, a good time to whip off any spring honey, but a word of warning, some of mine had very little stores in the brood box and needed a frame of stores swapped in to keep them going until fresh nectar becomes available.

Last edited:
I'm experiencing a June gap here, bees on the rob, eating up stores ( water collecting), no nectar shake and grumpy bees. Brambles coming into flower but yielding next to nowt as yet, a good time to whip off any spring honey, but a word of warning, some of mine had very little stores in the brood box and needed a frame of stores swapped in to keep them going until fresh nectar becomes available.

Plenty of stuff down here the Hawthorn still hasn't finished yet apples only just finished and blackberry just starting plenty of wild flowers in the field next door.Hopefully I won't get too much of a gap this year.

What does "nectar shake" mean?

No gap here. Brambles well into flower. Bees going nuts for it. A strange year indeed. Having to super again, now on 3 supers, having already extracted 2, with the 2 other supers almost capped, and it's only 3rd June. What's going on!!

No gap here. Brambles well into flower. Bees going nuts for it. A strange year indeed. Having to super again, now on 3 supers, having already extracted 2, with the 2 other supers almost capped, and it's only 3rd June. What's going on!!

Climate change... some down here are just starting to fill their second 1000 liter IBC ready for the honey bottlers!:svengo:

Yeghes da

It'll be a July gap this year if you don't have heather or balsam nearby.

Today at the Gelli apiary - first bramble flowers

Attachments

• bramble1 (1024x832).jpg
    bramble1 (1024x832).jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 27
  • bramble2 (1024x687).jpg
    bramble2 (1024x687).jpg
    137 KB · Views: 25
  • bramble3 (1024x673).jpg
    bramble3 (1024x673).jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 26
Our bramble looks set to open in the next couple of days, and there's lots of flowers on them.

There is a flow on from somewhere though, as my supers continue to be filled and I added a couple of extras yesterday. I think I'll need to extract again soon!

Love this thread. In mid May everyone was moaning about the cold temperatures and the dry weather and the lack of a flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In case anybody interested : the yearly beekeeping cycle and gap in the UAE

Attachments

• Cycle.jpg
    Cycle.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 57
But nowadays with massive irrigation, landscaping, golfcourses, biodiversity is increased in Dubai
Still, we are very near to the dreaded summer.
So best leave honey to the ladies to survive

Bramble opening in sheltered spots here too. 2 weeks of rain forecast though :(

Attachments

• IMG_3456.JPG
    IMG_3456.JPG
    435.6 KB · Views: 30
Well I've been told it's Dew Berry not bramble that I'm seeing. Three leaflets on the plant means it's not bramble. Ho hum :)
I've just put 2 litres of syrup on a split they had eaten nearly a whole super which I rather expected but we have lots of non foraging weather ahead

I've a stand of Cordyline Australis in flower and I suspect my bees will lose the best of it due to the forthcoming weather. There's also Laurel coming into flower and the nectar from this too will be lost if Countryfile's weather forecast is anywhere near correct.

Ho hum

CVB

Well I've been told it's Dew Berry not bramble that I'm seeing. Three leaflets on the plant means it's not bramble. Ho hum :)
I've just put 2 litres of syrup on a split they had eaten nearly a whole super which I rather expected but we have lots of non foraging weather ahead

Well it's brmble that's opening here - just checked again earlier on

Back