Is May now the new June?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregior

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Dandelions,hawthorn, and sycamore all coming to and end here now and can't think on anything much available for them for the next few weeks until the bramble come out (lots of flower buds on it already) Is the June gap a victim of a warming planet?

Dandelions,hawthorn, and sycamore all coming to and end here now and can't think on anything much available for them for the next few weeks until the bramble come out (lots of flower buds on it already) Is the June gap a victim of a warming planet?
Sycamore and hawthorn in full flow here

2000 km to North East in Finland. We have late Spring. Globe has not warmed up yet.

Everything open here and flowers coming on the lime for June.

Everything open here and flowers coming on the lime for June.
I am in Somerset too and the dandelions are well over but the bees are getting plenty of something (I do wonder what as the bees are on pasture) so Enrico is right - there is not really a June gap here. The main difficulty could come now when the hives are stuffed with bees and if there is a turn in the weather to colder and wetter and the bees don't fly - that's when they can really deplete their stores and could starve but in my experience it never quite happens although the Bee Unit puts out warnings which I guess are for the country in general. Also I am not too keen to feed a productive colony as the syrup must surely get put into the supers but if needs be, of course, I would never let them starve.

I am in Somerset too and the dandelions are well over but the bees are getting plenty of something (I do wonder what as the bees are on pasture) so Enrico is right - there is not really a June gap here. The main difficulty could come now when the hives are stuffed with bees and if there is a turn in the weather to colder and wetter and the bees don't fly - that's when they can really deplete their stores and could starve but in my experience it never quite happens although the Bee Unit puts out warnings which I guess are for the country in general. Also I am not too keen to feed a productive colony as the syrup must surely get put into the supers but if needs be, of course, I would never let them starve.
I have three supers on some hives. I would always leave them with one so starving shouldn't be a problem!
I am lucky having loads of large gardens nearby with different flora so that keeps them ticking over

Never really been a June gap in my area I’d possibly suggest late May, blackberry starts late May/June and lime starts middle of the month.

Latest posts

Back