Jar pointer please?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. its a pallet full, no charge for pallet and no charge for delivery.
Well done, it lost its layout once I copied and paste it
Sticking my head above the parapet, but am I the only one who thinks the hex jars are a bit of a pain - can't get the last of the honey out when it's stuck in the corners and the lids are shallow 1/4 turn - the traditional round 1lb jars with proper screw tops for me every time.

PS perhaps the hex ones are easier to pack side by side?

Sticking my head above the parapet, but am I the only one who thinks the hex jars are a bit of a pain - can't get the last of the honey out when it's stuck in the corners and the lids are shallow 1/4 turn - the traditional round 1lb jars with proper screw tops for me every time.

For me they look better and about the same size as a lb round but with only 12oz of honey. Its just personal taste.

Don't think they're easier to pack and definitely not easier to label, but never had an issue with the lids.
Wasn't there some sort of survey that found 12oz hex outsold all other shapes/sizes ?

Talk to those who sell regularly and you'll find that hex out-sells round, though I can't imagine anyone would not buy on the basis of jar shape. Hex looks better because it reflects light and colour more attractively; square jars raise the game at a price. Occasionally a customer discusses the awkward corners; I suggest they pour in hot water and use it for fruit tea. I find hex pack better - bees understood that as well - but as SDM pointed out, labelling is more fiddly, though the flats look good when used as a label design element.

Here's the nub of the matter: beekeepers who sell - even in small numbers - want (or ought to want) to raise the price and profile of local honey out of the rut of the cheap amateur product of yesteryear to a valued product with a proper price that reflects the source: local, natural, unprocessed. These words are music to consumers disillusioned with the dubious ways of the global food industry, because you produced it and are selling directly to the consumer; can't put a price on that exchange of trust in this age of fake news, internet fraud and big business fiddling.

The easiest way to lower the price of local honey is to sell it in pound jars. Ask yourself: which other UK outlet sells in pound jars? None, bar those beekeepers living in the past; it's 340 whether you go to Fortnum & Mason or Lidl, and your honey in a 340 will give you a 25% better return without raising your price. Of course, pricing and packaging will be irrelevant unless you sell honey, but if or when you do, aim to support other beekeepers by not underselling your honey in a big jar.

Talk to those who sell regularly and you'll find that hex out-sells round, though I can't imagine anyone would not buy on the basis of jar shape. Hex looks better because it reflects light and colour more attractively; square jars raise the game at a price. Occasionally a customer discusses the awkward corners; I suggest they pour in hot water and use it for fruit tea. I find hex pack better - bees understood that as well - but as SDM pointed out, labelling is more fiddly, though the flats look good when used as a label design element.

Here's the nub of the matter: beekeepers who sell - even in small numbers - want (or ought to want) to raise the price and profile of local honey out of the rut of the cheap amateur product of yesteryear to a valued product with a proper price that reflects the source: local, natural, unprocessed. These words are music to consumers disillusioned with the dubious ways of the global food industry, because you produced it and are selling directly to the consumer; can't put a price on that exchange of trust in this age of fake news, internet fraud and big business fiddling.

The easiest way to lower the price of local honey is to sell it in pound jars. Ask yourself: which other UK outlet sells in pound jars? None, bar those beekeepers living in the past; it's 340 whether you go to Fortnum & Mason or Lidl, and your honey in a 340 will give you a 25% better return without raising your price. Of course, pricing and packaging will be irrelevant unless you sell honey, but if or when you do, aim to support other beekeepers by not underselling your honey in a big jar.

This is so true.

I sold some 8oz jars to a local deli who was attending a food fair.

They were retailing the 8oz jars at £6 (its quite a high end deli) and didnt sell a single jar.

The reason was, the local BKA had 11 tables at the show (free of charge for some reason) and they were knocking out 8oz for £3 and 1lb jars for a fiver.

It completely devalues the product when even the BKA's are willing to support such low pricing. Doesnt make any sense.

Now back on sale at the deli its back up to £6.75 and selling well (I personally still feel that's too much. I think £5-£6 is a good retail price for 8oz around here)

What's the point in selling out all of honey @ £5 per lb in November and then having to turn people away?

Last edited:
........ and didn't sell a single jar.

The reason was, the local BKA had 11 tables at the show (free of charge for some reason) and they were knocking out 8oz for £3 and 1lb jars for a fiver.

It completely devalues the product when even the BKA's are willing to support such low pricing. Doesnt make any sense.

I went over to our local Apple Day
I had given The West Wales Hedgehog Rescue some of my honey to sell for their funds. I suggested £6 too
Next door our local BKA was selling the apiary honey for £5.00 for 1lb
The Apiary manager was there so I chastised him for undervaluing such a unique product when he had such a captive market.
He told me the BKA was a non profit organisation and turning to his wingman he said, "We've always done it this way haven't we, Les?. We've charged the same price for ten years"
Sigh...............

Seems a reality check is needed, I bet his wages are not what they were ten years ago and if it were to be suggested that he returns to that income there would be warm words. Just so idiotic.

I started using hex half pounds some 25 years ago and the customers loved them. they look more interesting and seem to attract people to handle them, and once in the hand more often than not they are bought.

PH

I went over to our local Apple Day
I had given The West Wales Hedgehog Rescue some of my honey to sell for their funds. I suggested £6 too
Next door our local BKA was selling the apiary honey for £5.00 for 1lb
The Apiary manager was there so I chastised him for undervaluing such a unique product when he had such a captive market.
He told me the BKA was a non profit organisation and turning to his wingman he said, "We've always done it this way haven't we, Les?. We've charged the same price for ten years"
Sigh...............

They then went on to say , and we have to take 10/15% of the profits we make per jar ! So the person supplying the honey gets.....?
Do the bka decide the price for associations? ?
I've been asked to take honey to the shows where our association have had stands , I might consider if I could sell it for the price I want.
As you said Dani it's worth so much more than its sold for , and fair play for donating some of yours to a good cause respect!

My boys school did a grandparents day and a bit of a charity fundraiser last week so took along an observation hive I told them to bump up to £7.00 for the 12oz hex...100 hundred jars sold out.

Sticking my head above the parapet, but am I the only one who thinks the hex jars are a bit of a pain

Probably -
When I started supplying our local health food shop another beekeeper also supplied honey there, my honey was priced at £5.50 per hex 12oz jar with our own bespoke labels - his honey was selling at £4.50 a 1lb 'ministry' jar with a bog standard Maisemores label - mine was flying off the shelves, his hardly budged and although he did see sense and upped his prices a bit the shop no longer sells it.

Last edited:
It find it interesting that beekeepers that want to charge the most for their honey are often the ones most reluctant to fork out their subs to the local BKA. Maybe this only applies to beekeepers in "Gods own county" or perhaps is a national trend

Next door our local BKA was selling the apiary honey for £5.00 for 1lb. The Apiary manager was there so I chastised him for undervaluing such a unique product when he had such a captive market. He told me the BKA was a non profit organisation and turning to his wingman he said, "We've always done it this way haven't we, Les?. We've charged the same price for ten years"

In Maldon in Essex there's a beekeeper selling at market at £2.50/lb., while another down the road asks bravely for £5.50 and dare not ask more. Would be better for us all, and better for the cheap man's pocket, if the second bought out the first, or if the cheap stock went in buckets to a commercial buyer.

High time this subject was on the agenda of every BKA beginners' course in the country. Could start with Essex: at the main Orsett Show they sell at £6/454, £5/340, £4/227. To add to that wacky way to confuse a customer - which, you'll notice, reinforces the outdated idea that honey in big jars is cheaper - they're obliged to maintain those low prices in order not to charge more than the other honey seller - Thurrock BKA - at the same show.

There's history, of course: Thurrock divorced acrimoniously from Essex many years ago; most of us have no idea of the story, or care to know, but it's an example of how a lack of communal thinking keeps prices low, shows that beekeepers find it easy to be their own worst enemies, and that their timid policies hold back the rest of us from raising the profile of honey and making a contribution to our living.

In Maldon in Essex there's a beekeeper selling at market at £2.50/lb., while another down the road asks bravely for £5.50 and dare not ask more. Would be better for us all, and better for the cheap man's pocket, if the second bought out the first, or if the cheap stock went in buckets to a commercial buyer.

Heavens sake !
You can easily get £3.50 a pound bulk. No jars no labels no time spent in the wind and rain at a market. No brainier !

As for bringing up honey pricing at beginners’ courses, an excellent idea.

I agree that most beekeepers undervalue their product. I sometimes feel the fiver I charge for the 12oz hex outside my house should be upped but the customer pushing a single note through my letter box is so simple.
I am upping the charge at the village Xmas table sale by adding a little extra value. Wrapping the jars in cellophane tied up with ribbon and adding a cheap (19p) honey dipper. The price just shot up by £1.
The Taste of Honey "candles" are made up of 3x40g tasters from different apiaries being sold at £3.

Attachments

• IMG_02.jpg
    IMG_02.jpg
    576.4 KB · Views: 33
Probably -
When I started supplying our local health food shop another beekeeper also supplied honey there, my honey was priced at £5.50 per hex 12oz jar with our own bespoke labels - his honey was selling at £4.50 a 1lb 'ministry' jar with a bog standard Maisemores label - mine was flying off the shelves, his hardly budged and although he did see sense and upped his prices a bit the shop no longer sells it.

I agree, I find that if you buy a bespoke label it speaks volumes, those standard over printed labels are horrid. A major supplier of honey around Wales uses an over printed oval Thorne's one! They look ****** awful.

I moved away from Hex's jars last year, for all the reasons you mention, I have moved to a 300ml Panelled jar, they look so much better than any other jar I have seen.

BKA I meant our beekeeping association. Sorry not clear.
I shall make a hamper up for the hog rescue for Christmas. They do such great work.
We have two of their rescued babies now grown up hibernating in boxes in the Garden
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5hlkyntxf3gdq7/Video 28-10-2019, 15 31 32.mov?dl=0

And off to bed
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2uyws5n7pl9fuwj/Video 28-10-2019, 15 23 02.mov?dl=0
I love them. It breaks my heart to see squashed ones in the road. We get the odd one in our garden but not often.

Latest posts

Back