Ivy Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ely

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
For the last few years I have been leaving this late source of nectar as a handy winter feed allowing me to extract all the summer honey and still not have to pay for sugar. I do not like the taste myself and it sets really hard. Lately I have been wondering if I should sell that also after softening and label it 'Ivy Honey'. I am just wondering what others opinions are and whether some may extract and have found a market for it.

Ta

That's kinda what I'm thinking. They both taste awful! 'Anti bacterial' on the label.

That's kinda what I'm thinking. They both taste awful! 'Anti bacterial' on the label.

I disagree, I love the taste of manuka honey

I disagree, I love the taste of manuka honey

For the last few years I have been leaving this late source of nectar as a handy winter feed allowing me to extract all the summer honey and still not have to pay for sugar. I do not like the taste myself and it sets really hard. Lately I have been wondering if I should sell that also after softening and label it 'Ivy Honey'. I am just wondering what others opinions are and whether some may extract and have found a market for it.

Ta

I know a local beek who has customers that specifically want Ivy honey.
I'm thinking of leaving a not-quite-capped super on, to complete with Ivy.
Just as long as the Ivy gets extracted promptly, shouldn't be too much fuss and give me something different to offer!
Only downside would be possibly having to buy a bit more Ambrosia to make up - the invert syrup can be taken late and fast.

Everyone to their own, but I never take ivy honey, I leave it for the bees themselves. If you got a good summer harvest, why be greedy, let it to the bees like you have always done.

I think I'll stick to what I've been doing. Best for me and the bees really. Thanks for your comments.

There is tons of Ivy flowering in Fife will this be a problem for people who are not extracting till later?

Even in the frozen North (let alone Fife), I wouldn't expect it to be actually flowering before August has arrived.

Even in the frozen North (let alone Fife), I wouldn't expect it to be actually flowering before August has arrived.

Just starting to bud but not seen any flowering here yet and I am only a few miles from the Atlantic in far SW.
S

Just thought I would show you a couple of Pics. Now either I am completely wrong as to what the plant actually is or this could have ramifications to those who rely on Ivy as a winter feed, or for those who do not want their runny honey contaminated.

This patch is probably 20 sq meters. and further there is at least another 40 meters all in flower.

I may be wrong, so please educate me.

Just thought I would show you a couple of Pics. Now either I am completely wrong as to what the plant actually is or this could have ramifications to those who rely on Ivy as a winter feed, or for those who do not want their runny honey contaminated.

This patch is probably 20 sq meters. and further there is at least another 40 meters all in flower.

I may be wrong, so please educate me.

That is a different sort to the type my bees forage on. It's the Ivy that grows up trees you want to look at

I stand corrected. Did do a search on Google first. Many thanks

So there's no doubt for some of our beginners this is what flowering Ivy looks like ... you won't normally see it until early September at the very earliest. Buds start much sooner but the flowers take a long time to emerge sometimes. Only well established Ivy will flower - if you have it on trees or hanging over fences/hedges you need to leave it alone as it is an excellent source of forage for all sorts of insect life. The plants provide a really useful habitat for insects which insect eating birds find very helpful in winter when it's hard for them to source other food. There is a lot of rubbish preached about Ivy damaging trees .... not so ... doesn't harm them at all.

Last edited:
I have only seen some of the solitary bee species use it, mostly the very small types.

Chris

Back