It's swarming time again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I am not getting my nuc's until June, maybe earlier. But that is a brilliant reference, thank you for putting up the link.
Nick

I started with a nuc late April last year ended up with swarm cells late June. On advice I knocked down cells (I did find the queen before I did this at least) to buy time I did not intend to repeat but was going to split. The swarm beat me to it. I was fortunate caught and hived my own bees,......and then they threw a cast!

The article above would have saved me loads of trouble.

You live and learn [emoji6]

The bees and the forum will teach you, even if retrospectively.....[emoji24][emoji24]

Copied post from similar thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hope so! I've seen more and more queen cells in my one colony over the last 14 days, along with lots of drone brood. There are six or seven Q cells on the middle of a couple of frames rather than hanging below them so I'm hoping it's supersedure - even though the queen is less than a year old.

Last year, in a newbie panic, I intervened when I saw queen cells and trashed them, resulting in a queenless colony. Hoping not to make the same mistake twice...

Swarm cells can be anywhere. They are different ages. Supersedure cells will be the same age. That is often a useful pointer

Oh dear I wish you had posted this two hours earlier, but appreciate it now. The weather was finally warm enough for me to move my nadired super back above QE as discussed last week, but now I've read this article And seen the images I think they are getting ready to swarm

Oh dear I wish you had posted this two hours earlier, but appreciate it now. The weather was finally warm enough for me to move my nadired super back above QE as discussed last week, but now I've read this article And seen the images I think they are getting ready to swarm

Then let the force be with young Jedi

Some considerations.

Usual scenario for the beginner is on seeing Queen cells.... HELP!

Organised beginner sees Queen cells and puts plan A into practice having the kit needed and the vital plan in place.

Read the link above. Buy the extra kit and KNOW what you intend doing. Yes it may well go wrong. Practice finding the Queen. Find some one with several hives and learn the tricks of queen finding. Once your eye is in it is in for life.

Search the threads on here for Queen finding info there is loads: some of it from myself and lots more from others.

Be proactive, be ready, be organised.

PH

Some considerations.

Usual scenario for the beginner is on seeing Queen cells.... HELP!

Organised beginner sees Queen cells and puts plan A into practice having the kit needed and the vital plan in place.

Read the link above. Buy the extra kit and KNOW what you intend doing. Yes it may well go wrong. Practice finding the Queen. Find some one with several hives and learn the tricks of queen finding. Once your eye is in it is in for life.

Search the threads on here for Queen finding info there is loads: some of it from myself and lots more from others.

Be proactive, be ready, be organised.

PH

:iagree:
I still consider myself a beginner, and find it easier to prepare for swarming the winter before, by buying/building any extra kit on the basis of 'when' the bees swarm as opposed to 'if' the bees swarm
If they don't then they've saved me some work next winter

Back