It's official :(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I meant lethargic not nostalgic :banghead: Although they might be thinking about the past before the wasps.
Very early start today

Morning RAB
Just looked in the hive to see if they need more food, as the only feeder I had was a 2.5ltr. They still look very nostalgic and not taken any feed. There are now a few bees in the super and they have spread out a bit. Is this normal?
On a good note I only found one wasp in the hive and hoping to get more bees Monday.

Sorry Kazmcc I hope you don't mind me butting in on your thread.

Ta
Pete

Butt away Pete.....how do you know if a bee is looking nostalgic? Do they sit on the side of the hive just pondering? :rofl: sorry, couldn't resist :D

I think I'll head down with some foam and close properly today, thanks firegazer.

Oliver90, we still don't have our OMF yet, the weather was too bad last inspection for us to do it, and our mentor has all equipment so no feeder. We've paid for it all, but it's coming in dribs and drabs. One good thing was the bees seemed to be defending as they should. They are jumping the wasps as they come close. Last inspection there was plenty of capped brood, and Paul reckoned there would be a bee explosion within the next week or two, that should have happened now, and there are lots more foraging bees coming in and out than there was, so the process seems to be building nicely. I am not worried now. I watched them for nearly an hour and nothing is getting in, not even close ( unless dragged in lol ) it's just upsetting knowing that the wrestling bees are going to be lost to these pests :(

Oh, and thanks for the tip deaddiplomat.....a good drink might just take my mind off it lol

Winning with the wasps

Hi
Yesterday I removed two hives form a house.
One in an attic that was very small, 18" high 24" wide, like a very small one man tent. It was not possible to get from the out side so I had to slide (to small to crawl) along 15ft to the end where they were, then remove panels to get to the hive. We managed to push a nuc in front of us to collect them in.

The other one was behind a fascia board so not so hard to get at.

The smaller hive I have put in with the colony that were having trouble with wasps. This colony is much better now the entrance is a tube and I have destroyed more wasp nests and wasp traps everywhere.

Hopefully they will now make it.

Thanks for the advice and to Chris who came with me to get the colony's

Pete

Hi
Yesterday I removed two hives form a house.
One in an attic that was very small, 18" high 24" wide, like a very small one man tent. It was not possible to get from the out side so I had to slide (to small to crawl) along 15ft to the end where they were, then remove panels to get to the hive. We managed to push a nuc in front of us to collect them in.

The other one was behind a fascia board so not so hard to get at.

The smaller hive I have put in with the colony that were having trouble with wasps. This colony is much better now the entrance is a tube and I have destroyed more wasp nests and wasp traps everywhere.

Hopefully they will now make it.

Thanks for the advice and to Chris who came with me to get the colony's

Pete

Good news Pete, wish I lived nearer....I would love to watch and help with a swarm collection. Ahh well, I'm sure that will all come one day. Again, Karen, walk before you try and run lol

Latest posts

Back