Is this EFB (PHOTO)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
There are two cells near the centre of the frame that the larva is not in the right position. To you think that it is EFB. I shook all the bees hard off the frame so as to take a photo of open brood and might of dislodged them out of position.

https://imageshack.com/i/c293fd5ej

Last edited:
Looks like a normal mix of older and younger larvae, to me. Though there's a cell top right that looks a bit like a chalkbrood mummy but it's a bit blurred to tell.

But when in doubt, call the inspector.

Last edited:
I had an EFB scare a few weeks ago. I called the SBI in my area, who came out sharpish with a test kit and acknowledged it looked odd. Apparently in the early stages, there're a few things that can have similar effects on the larvae i(n that they starve in their cells). I can't tell from your picture, but poss chalkbrood in top right, and something in bottom left. Can't see other cells clearly enough, though see what you mean about larvae in strange position.

Have you had any other snags with the colony that may have induced any stresses?

I would definitely echo advice to call the inspector. My mind was put at rest and I had a sensible way forward, which appears to be working so far (after a few weeks).

Good luck.
T

It looks to me like a few larvae that are a bit swollen and lying strangely in their cells.

It might not be EFB, but it rings enough alarm bells that I wouldn't be embarrassed to call the inspector.

One way to distinguish between EFB and the early stages of chalkbrood is to pick up a larva with tweezers. Healthy or EFB larvae will explode quite easily, one with chalkbrood will have a spongy consistency. Either way, be sure to dispose of the larva in the smoker and sterilise your tools afterwards.

It looks like some larvae have been collapsed down on cell wall. And quite much holes in brood area.

Comb is very black/old.

There are two cells near the centre of the frame that the larva is not in the right position.
There are several other larvae that look as if they've slumped in the cells - e.g. one on the top row, another on the lower left and a third half way up on the left. You also have some eggs that look as if they've been laid on the cell walls, but it could just be the angle of view - some on the third row of cells up from the bottom of the picture.

I have no idea what I can see in the cell at the edge of the picture, fourth row from the top right.

You could email your Inspector and let them see the picture, but really, if in doubt you should call and ask for an inspection. Better to be sure it isn't EFB, than to worry needlessly.

Keith, will you put the frame into the freezer and bring to Gormanston where we can do a proper examination. To deal with the frame wrap in newspaper and then in plastic. I also protect with with cardboard.
Ruary

I'm not sure if it is EFB Keith. I did a shook swarm into fresh kit to try to deal with a colony with a chalk brood infestation (heavy for my stocks) last week and managed to shake larvae out of position and some right out of their cells so what we are seeing may just be down to shaking the frame clear. I'd be inclined to brush bees from another frame in this and nearby stocks to see if you can spot anything similar. If I recall correctly, EFB symptoms often disappear in a nectar flow so, short of getting hold of one of the testing kits, keep a good eye on this colony.

Hi Rory.
The frame went back into the hive as I only seen the slumped larvae went I looked at it on the computer.

There are two cells near the centre of the frame that the larva is not in the right position.

I see what you mean, especially with the larvae thats a bit half moon, but it doesnt scream efb to me. Keep a look out for any slightly sickly yellowish or nicotine stained larvae.

From the photo they still look well-segmented, not watery unsegmented sacks. Unhealthy but not classic EFB. As somebody else intimated, lift a larva out onto the wood of the frame, tear it open with forceps and see if there is a distinct clump of white material within watery contents. This is easiest to recognise when you can compare known-bad with healthy though, unless you see EFB regularly.

I would gladly take Ruary's offer to put a specimen under the microscope... :)

Keith - did somebody else look at this hive, if so, what was the diagnosis?

Can you buy one of those test kits the SBIs use?
I had a dead larva on one of the frames when the inspector called and a quick test was all that was needed

Thor ns sell both afb and efb test kits for £8. 18 each you may be able to get them cheaper some where else.

Back