INVERT... how much?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost as much.
(Probably less than 20% less ... but I'm not starting with a calculator at this time of night!)

But surely its better to feed until the hive is up to weight, variable, hive to hive, rather than giving any set amount?

Almost as much.
(Probably less than 20% less ... but I'm not starting with a calculator at this time of night!)

?

Sacharose molecule can be splitted to two parts, fructose and glucose.

Itma suggest that energy will be added in thus way even 20%. If that is true, energy comes from nothing, and that is not possible.

Fructose has 1697 Kj and
glucose 1700 Kj per 100 g sugar.
Sacharose 1698 Kj
Practically it the same.

Answer: Inverting only splits sacharose molecule. Energy is same
The same happens in bees' stomach.

Last edited:
Feeding up to weight.... 18kg for a big colony on double std National brood... 27 liters 2:1.

Is invert as supplied by largest UK supplier equivalent to 2:1 sucrose, white sugar mix ( 2kg sugar + 1 liter water) ?????

Sometimes....perhaps if you ask the wrong questions you get the wrong answers???

Mytten da

To put on each 10kg of 'stores' at 20% water, you'd have 8kg of sugar in that 10kg of stores.
With 2 pounds to a pint (62%?), that would be 8 x 100 / 62 = 12.90 kg of imperial 2:1
However with an invert syrup at about 73% sugars, to get 8kg of sugars, you'd need 8 x 100 / 73 = 10.96 kg of syrup.

So to get the same amount of sugar into the hive, you'd feed 10.96 x100 / 12.90 = 84.96% (call it 85%) of the syrup weight you'd give with "2:1" white sugar - ie about 15% less weight of syrup.
With invert, you need a bit less syrup weight, about 15% less (who said "less than 20% less"?).
Which is about 15.3kg instead of 18kg ...

However, it'd be a mistake to think that you can calculate exactly how much syrup to add, as the bees are still foraging and still consuming, so, without feeding, their daily hive weight will still be changing quite a bit from day to day.

Thanks ITMA
About 23 liters of invert !

Last year I managed to get 36 liters of 2:1 into one colony of my NZIs... mix up with colony notes!!!... Capped stores came in use in Spring as used to make up nucs.... leading to another question... do you score open the capped stores or not when using as a Spring feed?

Yeghes da

About 23 liters of invert !

Because I don't happen to know the different densities of "2:1" and ambrosia-type syrup, I stuck to calculating the weights.
Volumes would require another tweak to the numbers.

Because I don't happen to know the different densities of "2:1" and ambrosia-type syrup, I stuck to calculating the weights.

We will be back to Molar Solutions yet!!:icon_204-2:

Molecular weight in 1 liter of water.... over to Finman!!!

Yeghes da

We will be back to Molar Solutions yet!!:icon_204-2:

Molecular weight in 1 liter of water.... over to Finman!!!

Yeghes da

Tonto.

I have studied chemistry and biochemistry in Helsinki University 5 years. that must be enough to feed some lowsy hives. And I have succeeded do it 53 years without asking help from anybody.

I feed hives full that they cap the cels.

.when you buy ambrosia, you pay for nothing. So simple. .

Just I feed sugar to hives. Price is £ 0.44/kg. .... And without water molecules.

Inverting is humbug.

Last edited:

What is its water content?

So to get the same amount of sugar into the hive, you'd feed 10.96 x100 / 12.90 = 84.96% (call it 85%) of the syrup weight you'd give with "2:1" white sugar - ie about 15% less .

Based on what?

20% sugar and 15% from that is 3 kg sugar. Are you really calculating feeding in that level? Price of 3 kg sugar is £ 1.4.

Why not just use the spreedsheet I've posted.

Makes life a lot easier for beginners.

Maybe it should be a "sticky"

Latest posts

Back