Interesting daily weight fluctuation graph

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the picture home bees come out about 14 a'clock and weigh drops about half kilo. Then bees come home and weigh continue trend from 12 a'clock to 15 a'alock. Then the curve goes down to the a'clock 6 figures.

Yeah, they did not get surplus during that 24 hours period.

So tell us a bit more about the broodminder scales. I've seen their website and it looks interesting but having tried and thrown away the Arnia offering I am a little sceptical as to how useful these things actually are.

Cheers.
Ed

Mji8uBV.jpg
I suspect temperature drift in the load cells. Are the scales in the sun?

Try placing the scales under an empty hive close to original to see if its not an instrumentation artefact.
btw a hive weight goes up with nectar but then down as the bees process it into honey. Depending on the nectar concentration it can be markedly different. It will be more than the concentration differences as it needs fuel to ripen. The amount of fuel increases with the dilution of the nectar and the hive inefficiency.

Last edited:
Try placing the scales under an empty hive close to original to see if its not an instrumentation artefact.
btw a hive weight goes up with nectar but then down as the bees process it into honey. Depending on the nectar concentration it can be markedly different. It will be more than the concentration differences as it needs fuel to ripen. The amount of fuel increases with the dilution of the nectar and the hive inefficiency.
I don't think I've got the strength to get them out at the moment! I was just posting to show the general daily trend.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Does the shape look similar for other days or is this an unusual one?
5am is close to sunrise?

Could it be bees collecting water first thing to dehydrate after the 2kg drop off overnight in the hot weather?

I'll have to look. I only posted the one day as a response to a request.

I suspect that the daily pattern is influenced by temperature, with peak weight coinciding with peak temperature, and vice versa (as derekm suggests). The weight gain from day to day is really clear though- nice flow at the start of June. What happened to the June gap?!

I think the June gap just started lol

Latest posts

Back