Ink stamp

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why not have two branding Irons.
One with your name Post Code OR BBKA membership number on it.
The second, with a code or cypher or quite simply the word "Sold" on it that you then mark the equipment with when you dispose of it.

stolen hives.

I had 2 hives stolen last year, one had bees.
So I brought a branding iron with my BBKA number from a nice chap in Yorkshire for about £60. Figures approx 18/20mm in height.
The down side to this, having something powerful enough to heat the iron when I'm out in the sticks and if any was stolen, who would see that the number on the frames, boxes, floor etc, were not of the beekeeper standing over them.
If I was to sell/pass any bits over, I would brand the item again but this time, upside down on the original.
If the Bee Inspector (RBI/SBI) doing his rounds did notice these numbers, either branding or marker pen, would he check? Possibly not. It's down to educating other beekeepers and the Inspectors to just take a bit more time seeing what's in front of them and checking if unsure.
It won't be too long till the electronic means become affordable to inbed a transponder thingy in each super/brood that will flash up in our mobile and allow thestolen hive it to be tracked.

There is no reason why chambers can't be micro-chipped now using the same chips put into cats and dogs. Simply drill a hole into the end of the frame hanging wall drop the chip in and seal it in place with a few drops of wood glue as most of them are made of glass then put the chamber together. Brand the wood on the outside with a mark as a reference of where to scan.

Chips only cost about £10.

Why not have two branding Irons.
One with your name Post Code OR BBKA membership number on it.
The second, with a code or cypher or quite simply the word "Sold" on it that you then mark the equipment with when you dispose of it.

Good idea for a nuc, the bees are going to love you. Bit of a loophole in the thinking there. A simple journal record would do the job.

Good idea for a nuc, the bees are going to love you. Bit of a loophole in the thinking there. A simple journal record would do the job.

Yup, see where you are coming from, but if the frames change hands again, you will not have a record of selling to that person.

There is no reason why chambers can't be micro-chipped now using the same chips put into cats and dogs. Simply drill a hole into the end of the frame hanging wall drop the chip in and seal it in place with a few drops of wood glue as most of them are made of glass then put the chamber together. Brand the wood on the outside with a mark as a reference of where to scan.

Chips only cost about £10.

You can get the disc versions for about $0.10 each from China. Have to buy a hundred or so. Also, you need to ensure that you have the right scanner.

You can also get nail versions.

You can get the disc versions for about $0.10 each from China. Have to buy a hundred or so. Also, you need to ensure that you have the right scanner.

You can also get nail versions.

Hi Paleo, Can you elucidate please as to where these can be bought. Much appreciated.

Have your or anybody found a place that sells electric branding irons?

Back