Import of NZ bees into UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not wanting this thread to just reach 100 pages in an aimless way...a flurry of one liners...

Rooftops, I think that Rumsfelditis is way too flippant a description of the major, genuine, considered concerns contained in this thread expressed by many on many topics. I think of Biosecurity, corporate ethics, cross breed impacts to name but a few...

During the development of this thread many questions have been asked of ITLD and his ethics, business procedures, economic judgements, his relationship with the Co-Op. He has answered most of these well and tried to be open. Thank you Murray.

The discussion has occasionally become hostile and emotive but has always managed to come back to reason via self regulation.

A great number of people have felt able to make their views known, ask questions (leading or otherwise), and generally take part.

I think that this has been an educational thread in many areas and I personally have learnt quite a lot about some people's character and business approach, oh and some technical details too.

I think that when Somerford started the thread he had hoped to raise interest and awareness around this Co-Op initiative. He certainly achieved his aim and although he has taken some flak on occasion for the way he has challenged the project I think he deserves credit for his effort. Thank you Somerford.

So if we take the thread to 100 pages or 1000 posts what will its value be to others? Will it have any? I think it will, do you?

Sam

Last edited:
".

Why???

It is largely a 'shorts and T-shirt' beekeeping country. The unpredictable black bees are far more aggressive. Any bees that make them reach for the bee suits are unwelcome.

They swarm more, form lesser sized colonies, and show numerous traits they do not like. They are ancient stock of A.m.m.

I have heard, but cannot recall where, of apiaries even being abandoned ( at least insofar as not being properly managed due to aggression) or depopulated to avoid having to cope with their unpalatable nature.

I have seen these bees, and they are very similar to local dark stock here, no worse in temperament than I have seen claimed to be gentle.

Anyone saying this is because they were aggressive crosses and that black bees can be just as gentle is missing the point. I have NEVER seen any UK or Irish bee (and yes, I HAVE had some Galtee queens) that is even close to the ease of management of the selected NZ stock, both the commonplace italians and the more unusual carniolans.

Last edited:
So are the parents of the N.Z. queens Carnolians or like Br Adam bees - mongrels ,that over time revert to original parents due to the viability of genes?,or ITLD do you think they have created - essentially a new race ?.

Another question:-Are the N.Z. queens prolific layers and early developers and are they good defenders against say wasp attacks or does their gentleness make them vulnerable.What are they like with regard to tolerance to varroa and Dysentery?

So if I have got this right, N.Z. queens are faster at building a strong spring brood? A lot better than British black bees?

johna said:
like Br Adam bees - mongrels ,that over time revert to original parents due to the viability of genes - .

Interesting. Have you any personal experience of this happening, or better still are you able to point me in the direction of any studies confirming this.

lol...........just looked in the mirror. Funny how those two inches shorter always results in a pressure bulge, somewere between the bottom of the ribs and the pelvis..........

Oops.....will now be seen as a FAT, greedy exploitative commercial beekeeper........

Ott oooh.... we might have another contender for most humerous post award??

I once had the stupidity to gain paid employment driving a bus>. The frequent riposte from morons who wondered why I did not have change of a £20 at 5 in the morning was "you fat, four-eyed, bald, pxxxx"

Awful job - worst I have had in 40 years. One day, came home with spring in step, whistling . "Blimey" says Mrs Bloggs, "you're happy....?"

"No dear" says I "Diets working......... They missed off the fat today!!" .

Regards

FB

ps Does anyone who has stuck with this thread remember the post from the bloke who said he had loads of work to do and would be dropping out from the thread?? Come on 100.

Well, i have not tried NZ queens but the best queen that i look after is a one of my BKAs Queens

she was one of the last Hawaiian imported by Kemble and is a joy to inspect

Johna?

Have a look at 19 post#186

PH

Got it PH.So much to plough thro' to sort out the FACTS from the hysteria.I think ITLD has given us straight honest answers and I commend him for the thoroughness of his answers.You don't have to like the importation of so much "foreign" material ,but I can understand its necessity from a commercial point of view.

Interesting. Have you any personal experience of this happening, or better still are you able to point me in the direction of any studies confirming this.

Brother Adam was continuously "tinkering" with his bees.I doubt if you can now find many colonies of "Buckfast" bees that are the same as he bred.I have found from personal experience of bees bought from him that they were full of variables and mixed temper.Not terribly good to work with sometimes.

I agree just 2 more posts after this one...he is the honary fire starter...

Are you there Somerford?

Sam

Back