I wonder whats happening?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allotment-bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have three national hives, two doing really well,and one rather pathetic little colony that were going to be hived with one of the strong ones.
We called into the allotment last night, and just went to cast our eyes over the hives.
Both good hives very very busy, pathetic hive surrounded by loads of bees, far more than normal.Quite a few dead bees under the hive.
We are off duty tomorrow, so weather pending, we will inspect all hives.

Judging by the number of bees around the hives, I don`t think they have swarmed, could this be a cast?
Could we even have lured in a swarm from elsewhere?
We shall see.

I'm no pro and am only in my first season... but at a guess I would say that the weak hive has got to a state of weakness that the other two hives are robbing the hell out of it. This would explain the increased activity and dead bees from the defensive battles that have ensued.

( EDIT: aha... I posted that at the same time as JBM... pleased to see I was on the right track... but much better from JBM since I had no advice on what to do about it! Good luck to the little hive! )

Last edited:
Back