How to tell if I have the queen in a swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10-20 depending
Long story short a very strong requeening hive threw a good-sized cast swarm. After a bit of trimming I popped it under a cardboard box: all good, fanning at the entrance. I was subsequently - ahem - alerted to a little patch of bees over the garden fence and down a drop, so probably 15' below the original swarm. Including - of course: you are well ahead of me - a VQ. So: which is it: a 2 VQ cast (it more than fills a 6-frame nuc) or just a bit of incredibly PPBK that defied the odds and cut the Q off with a twig? Will a swarm stay under a box if its Q is over the fence and/or in an Apidea?

If the queen is not with the housed swarm they will leave......is that what you meant?
E

I think that's what she meant. And the answer is the swarm will go back to the original colony if they lose the Q.

Sorry team for the delay: bee stuff. I had _FIVE_ mating swarms out at once at 2pm yesterday. Fingers crossed for the blue-dot girls. Including said cast swarm.

Thanks for the answers. It was an odd situation. I hived them on the Friday evening*. The mystery VQ was in an Apidea with a cupful of bees from above a QE in the parent colony.

The swarm were definitely unsettled: half overnighted under the nuc's OMF (but that can happen) and trudged dutifully up a sheet in the morning. This was Saturday. But something was off: bees flying all over. Maybe a bit of reorientation but I didn't like it so I moved the Apidea (still closed) a few feet from the swarm And a few - not a mob, maybe a dozen - started to fan at the grille of the Apidea.

So I took a view and on Sat evening I united the Apidea over the swarm. Sunday morning all was much more calm and they had someone out mating a few hours later.

So either I just launched a GoT duel between two daughters of a great Q (mistake) or I have conducted a natural experiment. The results of the experiment would be that there is enough queen pheromone and natural swarm smell around a swarm to confuse them at least temporarily.

If someone can tell me definitely that is wrong, wonderful but otherwise I am going to be nervous next time I knock a swarm into a box.

*I disagree with Patterson on this and think he is forgetting the flyers, verging on the cruel depending on the circumstances. http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/hivingswarm.html

Back