how to make candy ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prana vallabha

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 national hives , 1 nuc
hi .....i was at me local bee course and was told how to make candy from sugar and cream of tarter (i think). I was too slow taking notes so i missed some bits . I am sure someone here could help .......many thanks in advance

Last edited:
Put fondant in the search and you will find enough to read for a long time.

Buy Ambrosia/Apisuc/Api-invert or Baker's fondant (the right sort) and skip the possible 'poisoning' home spun, badly made recipes often inflict on bees.

Buy Ambrosia/Apisuc/Api-invert or Baker's fondant (the right sort) and skip the possible 'poisoning' home spun, badly made recipes often inflict on bees.
Bailey & Ball statr that acid inverted candy is harmful to bees.
Ruary

I make my own and have never put anything but sugar and liquid glucose (from Sainsburys) in it. You don't need any additives other than that.

Buy powdered glucose from Holland&Barratt (or other 'health food' shop) rather than dissolved to a syrup from Sainsbury's (or other supermarket, grocer, or cake-bakers' supplies store).
Powdered is about 4x cheaper. (Or rather, you get maybe 4x more Glucose for a few pence more.)
Once dissolved in water, its exactly the same stuff.
Don't skimp on the Glucose, maybe even use a little more than Rosti's video suggests.

While at H&B, buy some Fructose as well.
Its a great 'humectant' - keeps stuff moist. So transfer it to a sealed jamjar immediately after opening, or it'll transform itself into syrup.
Adding a little Fructose (maybe half the Glucose quantity) to your fondant helps prevent it drying out.

The old-school 'inversion' with (acidic) Cream of Tartar is not advised for bees nowadays (although I don't think actual harm to bees from this specific process has been proven, its entirely possible) because it could (rather than always does) produce (bee-) harmful levels of HMF. Its rather like the "bacon can cause cancer" concern in human nutrition. You can make nitrosamines in fried bacon, and nitrosamines will cause cancer, but the number of cancers seen is nothing like the number predicted from the amount of bacon consumed.
People have, and some still do, use acid inversion - without wiping out their bees. But its not "best practice."

You don't need to do acid inversion for your bees.
'Inversion' is about creating some Glucose and Fructose from the ordinary sugar.
Simple thing to do is just add Glucose and Fructose rather than inverting your own.
Incidentally, honey, (and "Invert Syrup" like Ambrosia), contains Glucose and Fructose; in honey they are in varying amounts depending on what the bees have been foraging on - which is one reason different honeys 'set' differently.

Rather than making it, some people find it even simpler to buy "Bakers Fondant" and not worry overmuch as to how it might have been made.

I use a calibrated kitchen thermometer (a Thermapen), and IMHO the temperature suggested in Rosti's video for the final boiling temperature might be a degree or so too high.
Certainly stop slightly too early rather than too late. (Slightly too late, too hot, gets you a hard rather than paste-y result.)

But do note that the main use of fondant (US candy) is as a feed that can be given during the winter, after it has been adjudged that stores are running down too fast.

My local BKA is planning a bulk purchase of Ambrosia, 12.5 kg cans at circa £13.16 each (equivalent to thick syrup without any nasties and lasts indefinitely) and I'm trying to push them to include their fondant too - all bound to be better than DIY stuff and much cheaper by the pallet load. Apifonda £5.20 from W Jones. £3.06 or thereabouts from a quote I got.

Latest posts

Back