How much space to overwinter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosmoking

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 Arrived 30/04/2013
Just a quick question, I hope! I am feeding 2 nationals atm. One has a brood and super and the 2nd just has a brood box. Looking around, a hive needs about 40+lbs of stores to overwinter now, how does this equate to frames? ie: would a full brood box and a full super suffice? or would I need more? (As I haven't taken any honey I wouldn't know the weights of frames etc, hope this makes sense) Thanks in advance.

9 frames of stores should be ok and theres still the ivy to forage on

feeding is already going. Late to ask the space.

Feed the hives full as much they take in during one week.

Then give a brake in feeding and take feeding box off. From that one week forward open the hives and look what you see inside and learn.

:iagree: with Finman. They will not take any more that they have cells to put it in and the queen is slowing her laying rate anyway so more space is emerging. Keep an eye on it, if using sugar syrup don't give too much at a time as it goes mouldly in 3 - 4 days. Better to use something like Ambrosia which is designed for the purpose and does not deteriorate even when the plastic can is opened for 3 years or even more if kept cool. Oxalic at New Year and some fondant (Apifonda or Ambrosia) very gratefully received prezzie by the bees. That will certainly get them thrpough to spring build up - subject to other unforseen factors of course.

How long can you keep sugar syrup in he fridge?

Put some thymol in it and 1 fewer things to worry about.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Regarding the syrup, I was told that a teaspoon per litre of lemon juice acts as a preserver. That's what I added. My biggest colony has taken 4 pints of 2-1 since Monday. Just topped it up today to 4 pints. The smaller colony took about 1 pint and I also topped that up today to 4 pints and added a super well, they have to put it somewhere. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back