How much for 8oz jar of run honey?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever else you do have tasters. Cajole people to try..no obligation to buy..though most will once they've tasted it.
Wear something casual but eye-catching.....a bright yellow t-shirt?
Dress your stall nicely; have props such as a skep and a smoker. I stuff some lavender in the end of an old copper smoker.
Make and sell some honey fudge....tasters of that too.

Thanks so much for your advice. We thought about some French Stick with Honey as a Taster. I like your thought about the bright yellow shirt, maybe I find one. We also wanted to dress the stall, just making my first candle, a small skep, not for selling but for deco. Some small Bees sitting around and yes the smoker sounds great as well. We have nothing really to sell otherwise. I have never done fudge before and it would be too late for Thursday to practise, but maybe in a month time, thanks for that!

But most important will be anyway to make up our minds about the price....

Luka22,
Your prices sound fine to me and I reckon you'll have no problem selling it.
So you would think we could ask for £3.5 and £5.5 so a slightly higher price then on our gate? Only sold 2 at the gate so far anyway, so not too many will know the price, besides they have told others ....

£2.25 FOR 8oz £3.50 for 12oz and£4.00 for pound jars.as I have said before there is ten people within a 10 mile radius of me selling cheaper than that

At that price I wouldn't bother selling it retail, you can get a good price wholesale and then you don't have to pay for jars, labels and the time it takes to bottle plus vehicle costs in delivery.

Luka,
Don't bother with bread for tasters. I use drinking straws cut in half, cheap and cheerful. As for fudge Dr Stitson has posted a recipe on the forum which produces an excellent fudge but can be tricky to get right.

This recipe is foolproof, takes little time and makes a nice fudge.

1 tin condensed milk
1 lb golden caster sugar
4oz butter
2 very generous tablespoons honey
scraped vanilla bean or equivalent in vanilla paste (optional)

Line a shallow non stick tin with greaseproof paper and grease with some butter

Place all ingredients in a large saucepan and put over a low heat until butter melted and sugar dissolved. Put pan on high heat and bring to a good boil, and boil until soft ball stage is reached, 114C / 235F, stirring just occasionally.
Remove from heat and leave for ten minutes or so, then whisk on medium power steadily until the fudge becomes grainy. If you have cooled the fudge properly this takes a minute or so. Turn into prepared tin and leave to cool, then mark into small squares.

I keep a largish nonstick pan just for fudge, much better than a stainless steel jam pan.

As for candles, rolled candles go down well (look out for cheap discounted wax in T's winter sale) and Tea-lights are easy to make and very popular.

@Erichalfbee,

Sounds like you got lot's of experience, thank you for sharing it. I love your ideas and can't wait to try out the fudge. I will try to get it all up for our next time we go to the market. If our first time works out alright, we would probably go again next month, so every first week of the month might sound alright.

I will have to practise first to make candles and Fudge and again, will have to do some research of what you charge for it. I don't want to be gready on the other hand it's all very costy and time consuming, looking after the girls and making the products.

From a sales perspective YOU have to believe and have confidence in your product.
Your passion for the product, its quality, fresh, un-blended, unadulterated, from flower to spoon, process conducted by your bees and free of chemicals will ensure it sells for your asking price..........do not undersell / undervalue it.

I usually take a frame to work, and invite my fellow colleagues, staff and students to taste straight out of the frame with a teaspoon, and have jars to hand to sell....(approx 150 people last year had ever tasted honey straight out or the frame, cut/comb etc), great talking point, and have posters in my office!!!

and I sell out!

and they are now hassling me, and giving me cash, for this years harvest! and asking haven't your jarred it yet!

I did think of just asking them to bring their jars back, and I would just top up straight from the bucket, while they wait!

Yep, we got some as well from one of these places.... one day they will lock them away.

But I might still offer some French Stick for the simple reason that some of our Honey crystallised so I have different Honey now and people can try the difference and see if they prefer the runny or the crystallised Version. Maybe that's nicer then sticking a wooden spoon into crystallised Honey. Our neighbour only wants crystallised Honey, I hope we find some people on the market as well. It was only harvest in July, shame, but that's nature.

My early crop of spring honey is crystallising too. I have a small bucket sitting in a Lidl jam maker and the jars already labelled are waiting for a home made warmer.

We bought 200 plastic spoons from nisbets for £1.41 with free postage. It cost them more to send them by private courier than it cost us to buy them, oh and an invoice came in a separate letter. Can't fault them!!
E

We had to do a car boot stall a couple of weeks ago - and I took along a few jars, very difficult to know how to price it, as people are looking for a bargain, rather than at a farmers' market where people come along expecting to buy premium products. In the end we settled on £4.50 for 350g. We managed to get quite a few bee related discussions going, even with people who were not going to buy. Full marks to Derek for his marketing skills and power of persuasion, as we sold the 10 jars we had with us. Car bot sales are not something we normally go to - but if we had to do another, I would spend more time on some info to go with the display, but this time it was a very last-minute decision to take it with us

I've sold honey at £6.50 for a 1lb jar and had absolutely no issue moving them.

We bought 200 plastic spoons from nisbets for £1.41 with free postage. It cost them more to send them by private courier than it cost us to buy them, oh and an invoice came in a separate letter. Can't fault them!!
E

200 plastic spoons from the 99p store for, would you believe, 99p!

Back