How long to fill a super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

666bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 swarms, 1 14x12 nuc, national nuc
Having moved some of my bees to the HB (tons of it around here), how long will it take them to fill a super?

How many bees? Weather forecast? How long is that piece of string? Tell us, when you have found out.

RAB

How many bees? Weather forecast? How long is that piece of string? Tell us, when you have found out.

RAB

A piece of string is too long to throw away, and too short to be of any use ;)

Shrinking broodnest & shortening days. If they fill a super at all you'll be doing well.

Height of summer they will fill it in a week but as said above the numbers will be dropping so.....

I'm putting a super (foundation) on a strong colony , then a clearing board to clear 3 full sealed supers :) .
This should give the bees somewhere to go :) .
I am surrounded by HB , golden rod , rosebay willow herb and clover in abundance (we get some hot August September weather )
I'll give an honest report on it's progress !
VM

Thanks Victor,the reason I asked is because some beekeeper has put 30 hives down by mine and I thought if you are going to move that many hives then they must store it very quickly. Otherwise it would seem a big job for very little return it was to take them a long time.

Mine drew and filled a new super in a week recently, mainly on HB I think. I am toying With the idea of putting a first super on a 14x12 colony that has been growing steadily all summer, just to let them make the most of it and lay down some stores for the winter. HM is still laying so prolifically there is really no significant room for stores in the brood box. I was surprised at how quickly they can get the job done if they rely want to!

Thats good news to hear as I'm hoping for some honey this year as I never got any lastyear.

I put a super on a 14x12 nuc (I got in June) on 10th July. They took a fortnight to draw the foundation and and it's now full of honey and half capped. We have HB here too, once that started they were manic, still are :)

Don't expect HB to be your main honey crop... The weather can be so inconsistent later on into September...

Ben P

having just seen a long range weather forecast for September, the girls might need wellies and umbrellas to collect the Balsam

Back