How long can bees stay shut in a nuc?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zante

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
When I order a nuc of bees I will have them delivered at work. If I had them delivered at home there wouldn't be anyone to take them. That means they'd need to be shut in until I get back home.
I know they've probably been shut in overnight during shipping, but will and extra day shut in harm them in any way, or will it be ok? Can I just put the nuc in a corner of the office and forget about it 'till it's time to go home?

What about if I should order a queen?

I will probably end up getting them locally, so this issue might even not arise in the first place, but still I'd like to set my mind at rest.

I know they've probably been shut in overnight during shipping, but will and extra day shut in harm them in any way, or will it be ok? Can I just put the nuc in a corner of the office and forget about it 'till it's time to go home?

If it is as hot as it was yesterday, you'd find a sorry mess of melted wax and dead bees. They need to be in the shade and kept cool. Even so, they'll want to be out and you could lose some from the efforts to escape

I will probably end up getting them locally,

Better if you collect them yourself, locally or otherwise, and ask to be shown inside the nuc on collection, so you can see the brood, queen and general strength of the nuc.

The Lady I bought mine off was happy to hang onto them until I could be there for delivery. Just have a chat with the supplier, I'm sure they will be happy to do the same.

If it is as hot as it was yesterday, you'd find a sorry mess of melted wax and dead bees. They need to be in the shade and kept cool. Even so, they'll want to be out and you could lose some from the efforts to escape

They wouldn't overheat as the office is air conditioned (and quite cool).

As I said I will probably get them locally anyway, it's just that I like to know what my options are.

As I said I will probably get them locally anyway, it's just that I like to know what my options are.

Your office might be cool to you. but the bees are in a box, not sitting around drinking coffee. They need to have water to evapourate to cool the frames if they need to. IF you have to have them in the office then find the shade and use a water spray into any vent mesh now and again to let them drink and cool the box. (don't drown them). Think about you being in a box all day with nothing to drink or any way of cooling yourself.
Common sense really. :)

I wouldn't consider this an option. You might...

Latest posts

Back