How big ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hey All

With my first beek winter before me, how large is a typical winter cluster ?

Tennis ball, rugby ball, soccer ball or other ?

Cheers
Matt

Taking into account all the variables like size of colony, type of hive, type of bee, weather, time of year etc it could be any of those.

Average for full colony in a Standard National box I would say small football - ish.

No definite size but in a strong normal size hive......how bout half to two thirds of a football! But more like a rugby ball shape! :)
E

How large is a typical winter cluster? Tennis ball, rugby ball, soccer ball or other?

Here where I live, in Cloggy Land, the winter cluster's size is measured not in balls but in straits (a strait being the space between two frames). A fair sized winter cluster at 5 degrees C should be about 5-6 straits by mid-November. If it's less than 4 straits, it probably won't see the spring unless you intervene.

This is just the common wisdom in these parts -- I haven't had to test it myself. Of course, winter survival depends on many factors.

Here where I live, in Cloggy Land, the winter cluster's size is measured not in balls but in straits (a strait being the space between two frames). A fair sized winter cluster at 5 degrees C should be about 5-6 straits by mid-November. If it's less than 4 straits, it probably won't see the spring unless you intervene.

This is just the common wisdom in these parts -- I haven't had to test it myself. Of course, winter survival depends on many factors.

Thanks for that. Always interesting to know how other countries think about beekeeping. Sadly due to 'old age' I have given up my clogs.

"Here where I live, in Cloggy Land, the winter cluster's size is measured not in balls but in straits (a strait being the space between two frames)."

'round these 'ere parts we call 'em seams of bees :)

Back