Horsley Board-opening access to top box after 3-4 days

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone else use a Horsley board? After 3-4 days it is recommended that the access to the top brood box is opened allowing bees to move freely within the hive. I presume that this is to stop things getting too congested in the upper brood box? Any thoughts?
Adrian

On my Horsley board when you open the top entrance the horsley board mechanism closes the hole in the board and separates the hives rather allow them to move freely throughout the hive

Doesn't your do that?

the forage bees return to the old entrance leaving the nurse bees to look after the Queen Cell/new virgin queen

Last edited:
Surely like all the various boards the idea is that you are relying on temporary queenlessness in top box for emergency queen cell raising followed next day on by supercedure response in the intact queen right hive.

Horsley is more like a vertical Pagden AS with the thru hole closing at 3-4 days /(ie prior to capping of the queen cells in the upper box ) and the upper entrnce re balances the hive with all foragers in the bottom box

i was never taught to use in a demarre mode, but would be interested to know how

Back