honey stirrer paddle

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If its galvanised, it wont be food safe. They have to be stainless steel or food-grade plastic

Didn't the old honey spinners used to be made from galvanised steel? I'm not sure but I thought they were.

You could use the garden spade if you really wanted to, but it wouldn't be food safe

again, people relying on others in offices to tell them whats safe or not, gone are the days of a bit of common

so that garden spade made from stainless is not food grade and a stainless paddle is........

:hairpull:

again, people relying on others in offices to tell them whats safe or not, gone are the days of a bit of common

No, it's because certain people have no common sense that they have to be told.
In my view anybody posting on the forum that it's OK to use galvanised kit - whether it's for your own use or not has just proven him/herself to be an eejit who should not be listened too.
The reason legislation was brought in to stop people from using non food safe and galvanised kit in food production is because
IT'S NOT SAFE!​

Does anybody know where you can get a stainless steel paddle from? Having a devil of a job sourcing one, most seem to be galvanised

In my view anybody posting on the forum that it's OK to use galvanised kit - whether it's for your own use or not has just proven him/herself to be an eejit who should not be listened too.
The reason legislation was brought in to stop people from using non food safe and galvanised kit in food production is because
IT'S NOT SAFE!​
:iagree:

Tho**es sell an aluminium hand cranked one and a Stainless Steel spiral one, for about £20 - £30 that fits on the 'heavy duty drill'!!

:iagree:

Tho**es sell an aluminium hand cranked one and a Stainless Steel spiral one, for about £20 - £30 that fits on the 'heavy duty drill'!!
Various other merchants also sell stainless spirals.
Mine did come from Thornes who actually offer a choice of patterns - one has a central shaft.
Drill doesn't need to be particularly heavy duty, just that the chuck is capable of opening wide enough to take the thing. I have an "18 volt" battery operated one (from Aldi) that does the job perfectly well. Check the shaft diameter and the chuck size!

search for dough mixing hook...
Needs to be quite a long one, unless you are restricting yourself to very shallow buckets.
My first small batch to make my own seed for soft set (using a half pound of a friend's soft set as the initial seed) was mixed using a (Lidl) hand blender and it's feeble-looking dough mixing spirals. Probably fine up to about 10lb of honey in the batch ... So I got the big Thorne spiral ...

IT'S NOT SAFE!​

you'll be telling us next, that all of us that chewed on cot's painted with lead paint should be dead, or drinking water from a garden tap will kill us, or eating sugar sandwiches will make us obese, although I do have a lot less teeth.
funnily enough I heard tonight that they are now saying cling film is bad for our health, and that it should not come into contact with the food, how many years have we been using that stuff, how many people here ate sandwiches wrapped by mum in clingfilm ??
not dead yet ???
if we went through life listening to what others said, rather than making our own minds up, we'd all turn out right w*****'s

IT'S NOT SAFE!​

And that metallic taint you get from dissolved iron is foul.

you'll be telling us next, that all of us that chewed on cot's painted with lead paint should be dead, or drinking water from a garden tap will kill us, or eating sugar sandwiches will make us obese, although I do have a lot less teeth.
funnily enough I heard tonight that they are now saying cling film is bad for our health, and that it should not come into contact with the food, how many years have we been using that stuff, how many people here ate sandwiches wrapped by mum in clingfilm ??
not dead yet ???
if we went through life listening to what others said, rather than making our own minds up, we'd all turn out right w*****'s

I think they were suggesting using lightweight metal not plastic for carrying drinks. If that's aluminum is the next scare story going to be alzheimers or some as yet unidentified plague?
Keep your bullshit detector batteries well charged!

IT'S NOT SAFE!​

I so agree with that.
If we are selling our honey we have a duty to process it the cleanest best way possible. Just because something was OK to use in the past doesn't make it OK when there is legislation against it.
I recall somebody here posting that he cut his cut comb up on one of those big black plastic garden trays and then scraped the honey off to sell. The mind boggles!

not dead yet ???

The reasons for having those rules are sound and remember DDT was once considered safe, as was smoking tobacco.

There's a world of difference between making a decision about our own health and producing foodstuffs for others.

Also, do you drive a car? Diesel one? If so, you must use red diesel, right? If not, why not?

Do you pay your taxes? Do you pay your rates? Do you (generally) obey traffic signals and traffic laws?

Those who don't listen are equally capable of being "w*****s" as I am sure you would agree if you discovered your neighbour was speeding down your road on the wrong side while running his car on fuel not for his use that you were subsidising.

I recall somebody here posting that he cut his cut comb up on one of those big black plastic garden trays and then scraped the honey off to sell. The mind boggles!

If it is used specifically for that purpose and is cleaned before each use, what is wrong with that?

I use two large plastic trays with raised edges for sitting the frames on as we cut off the cappings, but they are always cleaned first.

If it is used specifically for that purpose and is cleaned before each use, what is wrong with that?

If you are not selling the honey then fine but if you are and if you are cutting comb on it and if it's not food safe I think it's wrong.
That's just my opinion and I wouldn't do it.

Latest posts

Back