Honey price in Madrid supermarket August 2011

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hombre

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Ten
Noticed while on holiday near Madrid:

250g of most honey from the region, in a local supermarket, E2.95 or E11.80/kg
However 259g of honey with propolis came in at 259g for E4.24 or E17.00/kg.

I also noticed that sales of 1kg jars were very common.

Yes in E.C 1kg of honey is the norm.
Like the prices again we are selling tooooooooooo cheap.

Yes in E.C 1kg of honey is the norm.
Like the prices again we are selling tooooooooooo cheap.

cheap?
€11.80 a 1kg is about £4.62 a pound....

Tesco sell english set honey for £4.99 per 340g and runny £3.84 for 227g orr £7.68 a lb so Madrid is cheaper

problem is they sell non EU value honey for 99p for 340g

how much is you honey?

Last edited:
But isn't all supermarket stuff 'treated' so diminishing quality a little.

I sell from my door- £4:50 When I take out to talks- £5:00 (transport costs) All 1lb jars

Comb honey £5-6 depending on where my knife landed!

I sell from my door- £4:50 When I take out to talks- £5:00 (transport costs) All 1lb jars

Comb honey £5-6 depending on where my knife landed!

When you say treated you mean irradiated, today new legislations require that all imported food is treated by basically nuking it and you are quite right the food is sub standard because of this, as the process destroys many beneficial neutrients.

You can find out more if you look into the Codex allimentarius legislation now taking hold of our vital food stuffs in order of making grater profits.

If you take many vitamin supplements their percentage of contents are being drastically reduced so you will need more numbers to make up the short fall, greater numbers of units makes greater profits.

If you require greater strengths you will need a further prescription meaning further profits from those who have to pay.

The larger supermarkets are backing this program and for a very good reason, not a conspiracy by the way its in our faces right now folks and we missed it.

The big guns are not doing this to help us.

Last edited:

Heating is the issue with large packers. 60 degrees if I remember right. That way it can be pumped through pipes and filters easily.However, they do keep tabs on the HMF levels to keep it within legal limits. (And if limit exceeded they blend in a new batch of low HMF honey). Source: tour of Wallingford factory in 2009.

Some supermarkets are stocking regional foods these days. If they get honey from a beekeeper that packs their own it's more likely to have been handled with care.

edit: honey is not irradiated as a general rule unless it's used in medicine. Is that a future development Apprentices?

Last edited:
Heating is the issue with large packers. 60 degrees if I remember right. That way it can be pumped through pipes and filters easily.However, they do keep tabs on the HMF levels to keep it within legal limits. (And if limit exceeded they blend in a new batch of low HMF honey). Source: tour of Wallingford factory in 2009.

Some supermarkets are stocking regional foods these days. If they get honey from a beekeeper that packs their own it's more likely to have been handled with care.

Good point by local, then we can put the giants to sleep, probably know your supplier and get better qualiy food, which he body requires less of to thrive upon.

My wife has been selling a few jars of honey to other parents at school. I had a hard time persuading her that £5/lb was a reasonable price. My research suggests it's a little below the prices charged by supermarkets and other local food shops, but not by a huge margin, so it seems a perfectly reasonable price to me.

James

I think your honey near Madrid was a bit of an exception, I can buy in Spain at a fraction of that price, same with good cheese, fish and meat, cheap compared to France or the UK.

Chris

I bought a kilo of turkish pine honey this summer in a market, it was 12 turkish lira which at the time was about £4.20.

it was from the honey producer, i wish he could have been able to speak english as i would have loved to have seen where he kept his bees.

had seen on a couple of trips out hives at the side of the road and stuff. one site had over 200 hives round the edge of a field by the side of a river.

Latest posts

Back