• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

honey grading glasses wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Found two alternatives
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hanna-Instruments-HI96785-Portable-Resolution/dp/B0085WRRXI%3FSubscriptionId%3D03PFDY6F9AMHFPR46982%26tag%3Dallacronyms-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB0085WRRXI"]Hanna Instruments HI96785 Honey Color Portable Analyzer, 7-19/32" Length x 4-3/32" Width x 2-11/16" Height, 0 to 150 mm Pfund, 1 mm Pfund Resolution, LCD Display, 9V: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific[/ame]

http://www.dadant.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=754

When one actually thinks about this whole subject of colour shade by comparison, one should come to the rapid conclusion that although these shade glasses are specific, the samples may not be.

It only takes a small change in the honey jar glass, or the dimensions of same, to make a small difference, which may mean, in the few very marginal cases, the same sample in two different batches of jars falling into two different classes. Even the wavelength of the light being used may be an impediment to getting the same result for a sample every time.

Good enough to be accepted as the final decider back 50 years ago, but not necessarily so, now there are better ways to assess the absolute colour/shade. Personally, I don't really care, but there will be some out there that would complain when their assessment differs from that of the judge, especially if it were placed in different classes at subsequent shows. The problem is, of course, the need to assess without actually removing a sample for a definitive test.

RAB

Found two alternatives...
The dadant sold one makes some sense, uniform depth sample, uniform background. But as o90o points out, you still have variable lighting. A mix of coloured ingredients with individual light transmission profiles might or might not look the same under the different spectra produced by flourescent, incandescent and led lighting. Or daylight on a rainy day in October compared with midday sun in June. Or to my eye compared to yours.

The fundamentals have to come from the sports principle, "you can only beat what's in front of you". In other words, there is no 100% objective way of determining the class by eye. We could measure transmission of specified wavelengths, but only with lab quality equipment, and it could still "look wrong" on the bench. The classification is only relevant for those entries, on that day in that competition. Either it's for the show authorities to classify on the day relative to other entries or it's whatever class the entrant says it is.

It's the idea that there can ever be some universal standard based on a few arbitrary glass samples that is implausible.

It's the idea that there can ever be some universal standard based on a few arbitrary glass samples that is implausible.

Unfortunately that scientifically implausible idea appears to be a universal tenet of faith among show judges.

I think we should look to the future as these fragile non replaceable coloured glasses are not going to be around forever so we should be moving into the 21st century and have a universal grading method that everyone is able to access at a reasonable price.

Would you accept a hand made standard BB made from the finest Gower Larch for unlimited access forever :cheers2:

Hmm - maybe barter is the way forward - could do with a loan of a wax steam melter one day before the end of the winter. Anyone know of one for hire :D

Anyone know of one for hire

Cheaper to make your own? A steam generator and a hosepipe into a covered box of frames.

Or is for a more refined method?

RAB

Ok deal done. Let me know when you want it

Sent from my GT-S5570 using Tapatalk 2

Well the confused/perplexed honey grading glasses (or should that be plastics) are bouncing up in price. Wish the same nuters who are payning stupid prices for these took a fancy to my sextant!

Saw this... maybe wrong thread... but nearest!
eBay item number:
Seller assumes all responsibility for this listing.

Shouldn't that be NUTTERS see every body can make mistakes! LOL

Wish the same nuters who are payning stupid prices for these took a fancy to my sextant!

I'm totally shocked, Jenkinsbrynmair!

I don't know which is worse:

you offering to sell a church caretaker,

or you wishing that someone would take a fancy to him!

Slavery or pimping! Which is worse?

Dusty

I'm totally shocked, Jenkinsbrynmair!

I don't know which is worse:

you offering to sell a church caretaker,

or you wishing that someone would take a fancy to him!

Slavery or pimping! Which is worse?

Dusty

A bit of both ?
uniformdating.com

Back