Honey and vitamins

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And speaking of vitamins, have you ever considered combining honey with probiotics? Probiotics can do wonders for your gut health and overall well-being.

That would be why the US prohibits advertising probiotics has having health benefits and the EU has rejected applications to claim health benefits for them, I would imagine. As of last year I don't believe any claimed "probiotic" product has been found to have clear health benefits by the EU.

In pretty much every case you're probably better off just eating a balanced diet and not giving more cash to businesses that are really only interested in scamming more money out of you. Much the same as with vitamin supplements, come to think of it.

James

Vitamin D " the sunshine vitamin".
If you have white skin, exposed to enough sunlight, you should not need supplements. Unfortunately as James says, modern lifestyles and fears of skin cancer often limits sufficient exposure

If you have white skin, exposed to enough sunlight, you should not need supplements
And yet my consultant told me to take them daily - even out in Africa. It does help a lot when you have MS
especially given that some of the foods that provide it are becoming very expensive.
Yes, my weekly dose of oily fish (a tin of sardines from a decent cannery) sent to me from borough market is not cheap

And yet my consultant told me to take them daily - even out in Africa.

I have the impression there's a general assumption that in the UK people just won't get enough exposure to sunlight because of the fears over cancer, working indoors (particularly during the winter when they may not even get outside during daylight other than occasionally at the weekend) etc. Summers like this year's probably don't help much either. They've not been suggested to me, but I still have "tidemarks" around my ankles where I got a tan this year, so perhaps the doctors look at me and think I probably get enough sunshine as it is :D

James

I have the impression there's a general assumption that in the UK people just won't get enough exposure to sunlight because of the fears over cancer, working indoors (particularly during the winter when they may not even get outside during daylight other than occasionally at the weekend) etc. Summers like this year's probably don't help much either. They've not been suggested to me, but I still have "tidemarks" around my ankles where I got a tan this year, so perhaps the doctors look at me and think I probably get enough sunshine as it is :D

James
I think the actual fact is, the average brit will only get enough sun generated VitD if they spend their time outside during a good summer, any winter, even if you stand outside wearing only your skimpiest undercrackers from dawn do dusk........ dream on

If you think I'm going outside in just my grundies in the middle of Winter then you're certainly dreaming...

James
Whatever happened to the streaking craze of the last century? It made Erica Roe famous. 🤔

Last edited:
It was the Five Nations back in the day so I suppose winter and thus chilly enough!! She became a "sweet potato farmer" in Portugal (not a euphemism!!)
She hailed from about 2 miles from where I lived so became quite a local celebrity for a while.

Except Vitamin D
Been reading Tim Spector’s book ‘Food for life. The new science of eating well’. Highly recommend.
He’s been a fan of Vit D for last 25 years but now states since he’s been involved in a lot more studies the supplement has no effect on the risk of fractures. He does say 15 mins in the sun is much better.
He says some good things about honey - over 200 constituents, over 60 volatiles. Many potentially important for health like polyphenols, trace elements, vitamins, carotenoids. Think we should recruit him as the brands ambassador!

Latest posts

Back