Hived swarm when to inspect.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Gives a prime swarm Thursday eve. Despite being boxed up for a few hours and the fine rain during the transfer they seemed ok.
Plenty of flying Friday afternoon and today.
Set up is national brood box,full 11 frames with foundation and dummy board. Not feeding them. I have a QE over the enterance and a board over the omf to make it solid to encourage them to stay.

Plan is to take a quick peek Sunday to check they are drawing foundation or should I leave it a bit longer?

The queen is unmarked, at what point would it be advisable to attempt to mark her?

Take the QX away after a couple of days and at the same time remove board and put in inspection tray (I'm assuming the board you mention is between OMF and brood box.
I'd just leave them in peace for a couple of weeks before inspecting.

If you use a clear crown board you can check progress without doing more than taking the roof off. You won't see much, but you should be able to tell if the frames are being drawn and also where the bees are.

If the weather turns cold or wet and they aren't able to forage you may need to give them a litre or so of 1:1 syrup, just to give them a helping hand.

When you take away the inspection board take a look at the debris, the pattern should tell you where all the action is and you might also be able to see wax plates and pollen pellets. Interesting, if nothing else.

Some people only mark their queens in the spring (the next year), before the season gets underway. It's when the colony is smallest, so she's easier to find and if it goes pear-shaped they have the whole season ahead of them.

Will probably be laying by Sunday. Not sure what good the board over the floor is doing. If the queen cannot get out, they will not be leaving.

A quick peek will enable you to see if they need any feed. Doubtful, as long as weather remains good, but it will give you a good idea of what is going on. Whole box may be drawn in a week.

Thanks guys.

QX off tomorrow and slide out temp solid floor(was a bait hive) and leave alone for a week or so it is.

Latest posts

Back