Hive Stands

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebreeder

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots
Normally a long thread on the main forum but my normal hive stands have had a some what of a hammering over the last few days, numerous hives on their backs stands and all. The normal summer,( that will do two lengths of 3x2 and 2 beer crates) have not worked, the wind just moved the lot then the weight and rope came loose and the lot on the ground, how do the rest of you guys keep your hives off the ground, I am not a pallet man as with a bad back I try and keep them a bit higher. I do use pallets when moving them to the heather etc but that's not all year round.
Simple and cheap they need to be

I just use single stands Kev i find them easier to move with a strap round and just take the whole thing in one go, not to good for your back though ! i have been very lucky not one hive blown over !! one or two starting to sink a bit now :hairpull:

8" or 9" high ladder stands, to take from 2 to 5 hives.

2 breeze blocks (or similar) with 2 2x2 rails between them to make a double stand. Cheap and cheerful but takes a bit of effort to level them nicely, and 2 good hives on a stand bends the rails so the hives lean into each other.
Always open to better ideas though.
I've used pallets and still do but they rot so quickly and more than once I've trodden on nails poking through remnants of pallet wood buried in the grass.

Always open to better ideas though.

Ladder stands, dead simple construction,long lasting, easy to level, easy to transport along with the hives when moving, make them as long or short as you like, no buckling under weight.

Ladder stands, dead simple construction,long lasting, easy to level, easy to transport along with the hives when moving, make them as long or short as you like, no buckling under weight.

Have you go a photo Pete. I'm interested.

Have you go a photo Pete. I'm interested.

Not at the moment Chris, but it is now all i use, fed up with blocks,old wheels, milk crates, etc.

Basically very simple, get some lengths of 3"x 2" or 4"x 2" or combination of both, for whatever height you want, four lengths of this timber of an equal length to however many hives you want to put on the stand, from one single to five/ eight..whatever. Lay down two of these lengths of timber on the ground parallel and to the width of your hive floors, cut some equal length short cross bars, and nail or screw them about every two foot or so to the long rails, then fix on the other two long rails on top...then looks a bit like a chunky ladder, we use cedar and cheap spruce, treat the spruce with a wood preserver or creosote to last longer, these are lightweight and travel well on top the hives, or down the sides, when moving them to different apiaries. Took me longer to write this than make one..lol, but can also take some pictures tomorrow.

They can be made up to 12" high ( i don't use this high) down to 6" high...and whatever in between, by using the timbers on edge or flat.

Edit...and you can easily strap your hives to them as well if need be, and the doubles can be loaded complete on the stand.

Last edited:
I use flat cedar stands that you can pop a frame in when inspecting.

Just about to move 10 of them when it dries up.

Last edited:
They look pretty cool, just use pallets here but I guess I haven't got a back back... yet.

These are the stands that I have made. I made them from some roof joists that someone skipped and they are held together with coach bolts.

they grip the ground as they are pointed and they self level also. Also great for bad backs as I have them at 18in high so I don't have to bend so much when lifting the frames when doing an inspection.

Last edited:
Back