Hive Franchising

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
282530 said:
Good luck to anyone trying to earn a crust but I prefer they didn't do it with bees.....

So does that mean you are against people who make their living from bees.

Last edited:
HM

It was me that posted that, I can't let simonrp take the blame!

No, you know it doesn't mean I'm against anyone making a living from keeping bees.....what I do disagree with is 'entreprenuers' looking around and targeting 'a hive of honeybees' as a potential goer.

rb

what I do disagree with is 'entreprenuers' looking around and targeting 'a hive of honeybees' as a potential goer.

Richard, do you know all about these peoples business then? They may have some very skilled beekeepers taking care of the bees, or be very skilled at it themselves. I doubt they would just let them starve or swarm unnecessarily anymore than any other beekeeper would.

hm, there's no mention of any established beekeeping experience on their website.

and what else is there to say if the best they can do for a reference is featuring :

"John Prescott, ex Secretary of State for the Environment discussing Hire a Hive at our new showroom"

hm, there's no mention of any established beekeeping experience on their website.

and what else is there to say if the best they can do for a reference is featuring :

"John Prescott, ex Secretary of State for the Environment discussing Hire a Hive at our new showroom"

So you imagine these people know absolutely nothing at all about bees....i doubt that.

And your against marketing and publicity to promote a business....most businesses tend to advertise.

Last edited:
So you imagine these people know absolutely nothing at all about bees....i doubt that.

And your against marketing and publicity to promote a business....lots of businesses tend to advertise you know.

It does refer to beekeeping experience and working with local association and regional beekeeper. Really cannot critise their managing of the hive without some evidence. But if this does turn out to be the case I think the local bee inspecter will be jumping up and down:nono:

Don't think much of their franchise idea though. Anybody can adopt this model if it really works. Just change the name.

Sorry HM seem to have got the wrong quote above it was meant to be in reponse to Richard.:sorry:

OK
just replying to the OP

I also don't think this project "....is quite right"

I am very unfomfortable about people having a pop at a business they know nothing about, from what I can see they have done nothing wrong here. They are just starting out what could be a new good business brilliantly run or other, time will tell. What people will get when they google them now is this thread :(

Got to agree Nic.
Sometimes this forum shows its bad side and this one of them.
Not only criticising their beekeeping skills but also their past employment/ business performance without knowing any of it.

The gentleman running this scheme has passed his BBKA Basic and is studying the modules. No harm in running before you can walk, is there?

If it works - fine, if not, I'm sure others will benefit from his 'going out of business' sale.

I made hives for a similar business in the South East and they charged over double what the company in question is charging and they had plenty of people on their books. The people they will have as customers will have a gardener for their garden, window cleaner, house cleaner ect ect to them it makes sense to have someone look after the hive in the corner of the garden, field, paddock or orchard.

It looks like a reasonable business to me I like the painting of the hives and think they should try a few bespoke stands and rooves so as to give a hive that looks more original and bespoke to a particular customer. I wish them well as I suspect it will be tough going all the same.

In London last year a couple of beekeepers were charging city businesses 10 times that to put bees on their rooftops and then charging them an annual management fee on top The businesses thought they were doing their bit for the environment.

Not sure what happened regarding the bees, swarms or honey.

The people they will have as customers will have a gardener for their garden, window cleaner, house cleaner ect ect to them it makes sense to have someone look after the hive in the corner of the garden, field, paddock or orchard.

Just like the Queen.;) and seems like a good business idea to me and one I may consider should I return to the UK.

Chris

The gentleman running this scheme has passed his BBKA Basic and is studying the modules. No harm in running before you can walk, is there?

but we all have seen the newbee who is completely on the ball thinking for him / herself early on, and the old timer who makes a complete hash of even simple things (Dad!). I haven't taken a formal beekeeping exam in over 30 years (it was all different then) but have inspectors wanting me to teach modules to them. Whether you are studying, have studied or have not does not dictate what you are like as a beekeeper. You only have to look here to see many who think for themselves and many that do not. Wasn't it PH who took over a major bee apriary as a newbie?

My only reservation is the potential to give beekeeping a bad name with their customers should it all unravel, otherwise see if the market will support it.

In London last year a couple of beekeepers were charging city businesses 10 times that to put bees on their rooftops and then charging them an annual management fee

the difference is that the gentlemen your refer to are full time, long term, experienced. professional beekeepers!

In London last year a couple of beekeepers were charging city businesses 10 times that to put bees on their rooftops and then charging them an annual management fee

the difference is that the gentlemen your refer to are full time, long term, experienced. professional beekeepers!

And that is justification?????

So it is ok for experienced beekeepers to rip people off but not for newbies? Nice!

The reality is that running a business with bees is perfectly jusifiable and since this is a company should it go wrong, the public have a greater oportunity to get redress than against some hobbyist beek who abandons a hive and is untraceable.

These peoples website states that they are members of the local Association, members of the BBKA, the hives are on BeeBase and that they have kept their own hives for a number of years. Sounds pretty responsible to me.

So why all the flak?
Or is it the great British past time of knocking business, all businessmen/women are gready, mendacious, looking to rip off the great British public and doing everything to turn a buck.

Rather than the true picture where people bet their life savings on providing employment, treat both their staff and customers well, pay the government 20% VAT, 12% PAYE, £X,0000s in local business rates, licenses and other red tape and then end up making around 10% actual profit to keep for themselves.

Hivemaker - whay are we in business?

I made hives for a similar business in the South East and they charged over double what the company in question is charging and they had plenty of people on their books. The people they will have as customers will have a gardener for their garden, window cleaner, house cleaner ect ect to them it makes sense to have someone look after the hive in the corner of the garden, field, paddock or orchard.

It looks like a reasonable business to me I like the painting of the hives and think they should try a few bespoke stands and rooves so as to give a hive that looks more original and bespoke to a particular customer. I wish them well as I suspect it will be tough going all the same.
:iagree:

There are potentially many more aspects to hosting bees than just the established models of hobbyist or honey producing bee farmer that we're familiar with. As their website points out, there's the educational role for schools and colleges, promotional at places like garden centres and a decorative talking point in landscaping. I'd think many organisations would prefer a commercial relationship where somebody reliably services the bees weekly than hoping somebody's enthusiasm doesn't wane or make some nebulous "arrangement" locally. It's just another service to contract out and the easier it is to establish and let run the less management time it takes.

As to what expertise they have in house, or can call on, we have no idea. I can see scenarios that could be unethical, for instance if they are operating on a commercial basis but relying on local unpaid BKA contacts to help out when they are out of their depth. But there's no evidence that is the case. There are others offering a paid service in other parts of the country either as a visiting beekeeper/tutor or on site hive plus management package. The only difference here is that they have borrowed some of the language and trappings of "business opportunity" and franchising; it's a pool where some sharks swim but it doesn't mean all small businesses are only looking for a fast buck.

It's a business and market forces will judge it ultimately. It's not unethical because no lies are being told. But it's such a one sided deal I can't see it thriving. The client doesn't actually get anything.

Latest posts

Back